Does anyone else keep an EGG LOG?

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else does this. I keep a record every day of all the eggs that have been laid and who laid them (if I know). I have a special notebook just for this purpose that I have labeled "Egg Log". My hubby saw it on the kitchen counter and just shook his head!

I also list them in two categories, large and small. The ones under 2 ounces, usually bantam eggs and beginning pullet eggs, are small. The larger ones are all those that are 2 ounces or more. When I'm not sure, I weigh the egg in question. I'm sure this could be organized in another way, but this seems to work for me.

I also make a note of the color--brown, green, or white. Except for the bantams, which all seem to be a shade of ivory. I have only one hen that lays green eggs, so she's easy to keep track of!

I find it is interesting to look back at this record. It makes it easy to see if the laying has improved or if it has gone down.

Luckily, despite the winter weather, I am getting more eggs than ever! The only ones that are laying less are my older RIR hens, but I think that's to be expected.

I did lose one older hen to undetermined causes and added one new hen to the flock since I started this, so I'm sure that is affecting my count as the new hen is a very good layer.

I'd like to hear if anyone else keeps a record like this! Genie

Yes, I do, although not as detailed a record as you do. I've been keeping mine for years. It sure does show me a lot about our production rates.

big_smile.png

I keep a little diary like and record the eggs I get everyday in it. Also any odd or special moments in it. I don't have but the two brahma , that are laying, but their eggs are so different. One lays a large egg the other a smaller pullet sized one. They are the same age. They started laying within a day of each other. But they are mixed with something and one is larger than the other. Oddly the smaller one lays the largest egg.??? I can look back and track the progress of my little orps. that I am rearing too. My hb just shakes his head too. LOL Maybe we are crazy but it is more fun than not being. Jean

I also keep a log. I track:
- eggs laid in the AM
- eggs laid in the PM
- Daily total
- 30-day rolling average number eggs laid in AM, PM and daily total (to track trends in production)
- any tasks I do for them (add feed, change out waterer, give treats, etc.)
- any unusual/unique observations

My wife thinks I'm nuts.

I write down how many each day and what they look like and the time I discovered them. I now have definitely 4 pullets laying and possibly 6, but no idea who is laying which egg. I keep going out to look and just find an egg or 2 in the nests. I mean I could make 10 trips a day and still miss the events.
roll.png

I keep track of daily production on a calendar next to the frig. I record it by the month in a homestead journal.

August egg production 59 eggs
September egg production 136 eggs
October egg production 105 eggs
November egg production 91 eggs
Dec 1-14, 52 eggs so far.

August 1st (18 weeks 4 days old) 1st hen started to lay
August 14 (20 weeks 3 days old) 2nd hen started to lay
August 15 (20 weeks 4 days old) 3rd hen started to lay
August 27 (22 weeks 3 days old) 4th hen started to lay
August 30 (22 weeks 5 days old) 5th hen started to lay
September 7 (23 weeks 6 days old) 6th hen started to lay

I did in the beginning. I work the graveyard shift and sleep during the day. I usually check their feed and water when I get home from work in the morning and when I get up late afternoon, I check them again as well as collect the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom