Does Anyone Else Notice This?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Because of Daylight Savings Time, I have to leave for work before dawn. Since I let the chicks free to mingle with the adults I've noticed that when I go in to open up that the cockerel is crowing and the babies are up eating and drinking while the hens and POL pullets are still dozing on the roosts.

It reminds me of how toddlers and preschoolers are always up early before their parents.

Anyone else notice this?

The lower ranking birds are typically first off the roost in the morning, except for the rooster. He comes off very early too to herd the flock around. I believe this is a tactic to try to get some food before the dominants arrive and drive them off.
Dominants are first to roost so they get the prime spots.

See my birds come out in whatever order they want on any given day. Sometimes lead girl is out fast other times last she is the boss sooo.. she does what she wants. The only ones I have that run to the feeder are 2 meat birds I have that well.. meat birds what else is there to say :lau. I had a large playtime (free range with supervision) and my 2 meaties walked near the open door turned around and walked back to the feeder area. Priorities. Every flock has their own quirks and routine. Mine do their thing at their leisure even the young ones I have. Never seen a meat bird run fast until you let them out in the morning to have access to food. Even my ducks come out but they just waddle/walk out a ways before stretching their wings and following their tiny mighty leader in some zoomies..

The lower ranking birds are typically first off the roost in the morning, except for the rooster. He comes off very early too to herd the flock around. I believe this is a tactic to try to get some food before the dominants arrive and drive them off.

I don't quite have enough space for all the flock to eat at once, but I do have 4 large feeders well spaced out. I haven't seen any bullying, but that does make perfect sense because not bullying =/= letting the little ones eat at the same time.

That's how it works with my flock as well. The young ones are up first to eat, and to bed last after one last big meal.

Have not noticed this, our chicks just seem to follow there mother around, its cute when they learn things from there mother, how to peck things and eat, its like how the rooster tells the hens hey there is food over here an they come over. If only human mothers where as good as chicken mothers.

Have not noticed this, our chicks just seem to follow there mother around, its cute when they learn things from there mother, how to peck things and eat, its like how the rooster tells the hens hey there is food over here an they come over. If only human mothers where as good as chicken mothers.

My chicks are brooder-raised rather than broody-raised. That probably makes a difference. :)

Back
Top Bottom