does anyone else spoil thier chickens???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by corey mcafee, Jan 14, 2011.

1. corey mcafee

corey mcafee New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    I spoil my chickens like i buy loaves of bread and feed them and in the winter time i guy green peas so they can have their greens and then i give them the usual scratch and layer and oystershells does anyone else do this as well??????

2. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I spoil mine also.They are so much fun too watch....I have 2 red heat bulbs in their coop,they love it....[​IMG]

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I spoil mine too. They get bread, some corncobs (I found a store that sells them for 69 cents in winter!), oatmeal, flockblocks, layer crumbles, worms, crickets, mealworms... the list goes on. I even gave them each a tiny bite of gingerbread on Christmas! [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Mine got 2 nice big pans of mash yesterday morning!! I mixed feed, oatmeal and hot water!! They went nuts!! They get ALL the leftovers out the fridge, plus bread, crackers, etc.

5. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    I think that pretty much any active member on BYC spoild their chicken in SOME way [​IMG]

6. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I shovel their run, I make them eggs, I feed them heals of bread, I kiss them goodnight when I go shut off the coop light.

Yes, they are spoiled.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I over-spoil mine.

I give them 3 acres of pasture filled with trees, berry-bushes, grass, bugs, and assorted grains to forage on, plus during the winter I throw sunflower seeds, oatmeal, extra veggies, etc to them. On top of that, they're always looked over for possible injuries, dirty feathers, etc. Also, during the fall, they get our excess produce from the gardens, fruit from the trees, and grains from the crops. (non-GMO corn too!)

And of course, on top of that all, I'm always out there with them, for at least 5 minutes to a most, 2 hours a day. And they all have names.

8. yea, my Bird n the Fluffy Butts get spoiled all the time. I get day old raisin bread for them, buy special yogurt, heads of green leaf lettuce (its winter and no fresh stuff around!) I daily shovel them patches of the yard that are under snow so they can find some fresh grass to nibble, I make them oatmeal if they are cold. (yea, quaker instant... found it at a flea market cheap too!) they get baths, blowdry if they get rained on, pink curtains, i even painted the ceiling on their coop with a sky, so they could look up and see sunshine on crappy days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yea, thats a powder pink nest box to go with the hot pink curtains

um, i went out this weekend and bought a few bags of sand, peatmoss, and a contractors tub to put in the coop so they could have a fresh dustbath. (theirs is frozen outside)

I think MOST of us here spoil the crud out of our babies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    LOVE that little path!

10. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    WOW Fishnet1971! I better keep this a secret from my chickens lest they think I'm neglecting them! [​IMG]
    I did make them scrambled eggs yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by