Does anyone have a "quail cam" setup they can recommend?

le_bwah

Crowing
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Boise, ID
My Coop
My Coop
I've taken to leaving my phone in the pen for a few minutes while the hens are active post-feeding, but I'd like to set up a semi-permanent camera to record their antics (and maybe figure out who is fear-flying around sundown). Does anyone have a camera set up in their pens, and if so, what kind? I'm aiming to capture video like the clip below—just want to know about big successes/failures before I splurge on the tech. Thanks!

I LOVE the Blink security cameras which are available as a 5-pack from Costco. They're wireless and operate on batteries (they say 2 years on Lithium AA, which comes with it). They're small enough to put in an incubator or just move around when you change your mind. I'll see if I can find a few good examples to share.

BTW, your birds are beautiful!

Last edited:
I LOVE the Blink security cameras which are available as a 5-pack from Costco. They're wireless and operate on batteries (they say 2 years on Lithium AA, which comes with it). They're small enough to put in an incubator or just move around when you change your mind. I'll see if I can find a few good examples to share.

BTW, your birds are beautiful!

Thank you! I'll look into those—small and moveable are what I'm going for. :)

Seems most cordless security cameras cap out at 1080p. But I'm dumb and didn't realize my phone had a higher resolution mode—makes a HUGE difference. Now thinking of building some kind of tripod to keep it elevated and clean (already q-tipped poop of the phone case once :lol:).

True. Phones will always look better, but you can't keep your phone in the coop all the time.

Security cameras also don't focus as quickly as phones. They are good for night surveillance and quick checks. I used it to find a rat. (We caught it the next night) Here's a clip taken in total darkness.

I especially like using the cameras when I try to integrate new birds or move them to new housing.

I have a wireless Reolink Argus PT with solar panel. The video quality won't be as good as your phone, but it should start recording when it detects motion (you can also set a schedule and set sensitivity for motion), and you can look and manually record anytime. PT means pan-tilt, you can move it around remotely. I used to have the Argus 2 in there but moved it elsewhere when I got the PT. I tried the Blink first but had too much trouble connecting it to the wifi, despite using a signal extender. The Argus 2 could be easily moved around or installed in one place, but the Argus PT does need to be installed in one location. It isn't perfect, but it works well enough. I primarily wanted it to alert me to any predators lurking at night, and it's nice to be able to look in on them anytime to see if they're ok. The solar panel is small and works great. I never have to charge it! But the battery lasts a long while without the panel, too.

Screenshot of video taken by the Argus 2 at night, using "Fluent" (lower) quality. The 1080P setting produces better image quality but is slower through the wifi. The Argus2 has a magnetic base, so I set it here on a metal trellis to catch how a rat was getting in at night (hole now patched). The Argus PT is at the other end and couldn't see this area through the butterfly bush branches.

Screenshot_20210129-071629~2.png

Back
Top Bottom