Does ANYONE Have Any Questions About Ducks? Anything can be Asked and Everything Will be Answered.

Who has ducks?

• ME!!!

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Nope!

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Never!

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Thinking about it (good thing to do)!

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
The ones in the picture are mallard. I hatched 7 of them. The barnyard mix are in another tub. A dozen of them leaning heavily toward Rouen mix.

I have had the small size plate for a couple of years now and just ordered the extra small for this year. Love the design and how well made it is compared to the junk I got from Brinsea. The plastic cover really does the job and it is so easy to adjust and clean up.

The extra small fits a little better in the plastic tubs for the first couple of weeks before I move them into a larger brooder. I start by turning off the heat during the day for 5-7 days, then give them a step stool to hide under when I wean them off of the heat.

PICT0756.jpg

Random questions that have been floating around in my mind -

1) It has been 1 year since Daphne molted, and she only really molted her blue feathers last year. Her feathers are still in great shape. Will she molt anyways? Will she do a full molt this year? On that note, the ‘Scovies never really had a clear juvenile molt? By that, I mean that they just grew new feathers and never really seemed to lose any. Normal?

2) Is there anything wrong with letting a broody ‘Scovy do her thing without intervention? My littlest hen wants to be broody (she has the broody scolding squeak, she’s making an egg collection, she spends more time near her nest). If she decides to cross the line into full-on broodiness, do I need to interrupt it? Her eggs are infertile. If she wants to just chill on those eggs, how long will she sit if I don’t intervene?

3) Is it weird that I know where all of the other neighborhood ducks live and that I feel a certain level of happiness when I see that another person that has been “converted” into a duck person?

Random questions that have been floating around in my mind -

1) It has been 1 year since Daphne molted, and she only really molted her blue feathers last year. Her feathers are still in great shape. Will she molt anyways? Will she do a full molt this year? On that note, the ‘Scovies never really had a clear juvenile molt? By that, I mean that they just grew new feathers and never really seemed to lose any. Normal?

2) Is there anything wrong with letting a broody ‘Scovy do her thing without intervention? My littlest hen wants to be broody (she has the broody scolding squeak, she’s making an egg collection, she spends more time near her nest). If she decides to cross the line into full-on broodiness, do I need to interrupt it? Her eggs are infertile. If she wants to just chill on those eggs, how long will she sit if I don’t intervene?

3) Is it weird that I know where all of the other neighborhood ducks live and that I feel a certain level of happiness when I see that another person that has been “converted” into a duck person?
If your scovys eggs where fertile I would say let nature take its course...but....I would break her broodiness. No need brooding on infertile eggs. She will be much happier anyways. And maybe a little weird that you know where the neighborhood ducks live but it is fine..they probably know where you live. I always feel very happy when people have ducks etc so that is not weird. :)

Its really hard to break a Muscovy duck from broody once she sets her mind to it believe I have tried. So I just let them go I do take all eggs away though because no need of nasty rotten eggs in the nest you could get fake ones for her to sit but you have to make sure she comes out every day and eats drinks baths and poops. Some do some won’t. Only other thing you could do is break up the nest and lock her out but then you risk her going someplace where you can’t find her and getting killed by a predator . My Muscovys have a big molt in late fall. That’s the only time I notice molting they lose their flight feathers. The mail man told me the other day they had boxes of chicks up in the office waiting for pick up it made me smile thinking others around here enjoyed poultry too.

If your scovys eggs where fertile I would say let nature take its course...but....I would break her broodiness. No need brooding on infertile eggs. She will be much happier anyways. And maybe a little weird that you know where the neighborhood ducks live but it is fine..they probably know where you live. I always feel very happy when people have ducks etc so that is not weird. :)

It’s not that I drive around looking for ducks, I just remember them when I see them. Hopefully, that makes it less weird! :lau

Goon 2 isn’t fully broody yet, but I was letting her accumulate a little collection as I can’t eat enough eggs to keep up. I guess I’ll clear them out. Goon 1 also has a collection, but she hasn’t shown any sign of becoming broody. Then again, she’s about two weeks behind Goon 2 in maturity. :idunno

It’s not that I drive around looking for ducks, I just remember them when I see them. Hopefully, that makes it less weird! :lau

Goon 2 isn’t fully broody yet, but I was letting her accumulate a little collection as I can’t eat enough eggs to keep up. I guess I’ll clear them out. Goon 1 also has a collection, but she hasn’t shown any sign of becoming broody. Then again, she’s about two weeks behind Goon 2 in maturity. :idunno
Yeah...less weird(I knew what you meant in the begging..just wanted to make a joke:lol:) I would go with what @Miss Lydia said about broody Muscovy...as I have never dealt with one before.

Back
Top Bottom