Does ANYONE Have Any Questions About Ducks? Anything can be Asked and Everything Will be Answered.

Who has ducks?

• ME!!!

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Nope!

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Never!

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Thinking about it (good thing to do)!

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
No change in Lili eating drinking pooping and I can stand her up, so I don’t think it’s her legs and feet. She just seems to be off balance once she try’s to move. She tries hard to get her self up but can’t. If she gets on her back she will lay there kicking until one of us can turn her over. I had to make a narrow section in the box so she won’t fall. She will stand on her legs and feet until she tries to move. She’s eating and drinking great. She doesn’t even protest with the vitamins (liquid). Only thing is I haven’t heard her make one peep yet. And she was my most talkable duck! She also has not laid an egg all this time. She was my only one laying this winter right up until this episode. She is not egg bound, it is smooth and soft down there unless it is up higher. My daughter in law said it might be worms. I bought some diatomaceous earth. She said that can help but I never used it for that. I always put under new straw when we go to straw their house. My mom says she might have had a stroke. Is it possible?
You know all you can do is try what you can and that has helped others that have had neurological issues and walking problems with their water fowl. Stroke is possible but a vet is the only one who can diagnose that. Nutritional deficiencies we can help with but if there is any chance of a vet that is always the best way to go. Helping her from being able to flip and not get upright is a great idea eating and drinking is all good signs too. And her poop looks normal? DE will not kill parasites you’ll need to get something like safeguard for goats it’s a liquid if you decide to go that direction you’ll need to weigh her and @casportpony can help you with dose. You can also ask your vet if they will do a fecal float that way you won’t be worming if she doesn’t have parasites.

Sorry if someone has already asked this.

I have chickens already, and I’m hoping that some day I’d have ducks as well. How different is it to keep ducks vs chickens? What do you have to have for ducks that you don’t need for chickens? I’d probably be getting Runner ducks if that makes a difference.

Sorry if someone has already asked this.

I have chickens already, and I’m hoping that some day I’d have ducks as well. How different is it to keep ducks vs chickens? What do you have to have for ducks that you don’t need for chickens? I’d probably be getting Runner ducks if that makes a difference.
Picture ducks as pigs, They like playing in mud and water and eating everything

they spread water around and some eat all the grass and drill up all the grass in their area

I have 3 local ppl I will be getting ducks from when they hatch.
Ancono, Muskovies, and khaki campbells

Do different ducks need different feeding or anything special?
Also is it better to put food out twice a day or can I make feeders for them too?
I know more space the better but is their a rule of thumb like the 10sqft for chickens?

I live in the city and they must be kept in a run. No free range for them :(

I have 3 local ppl I will be getting ducks from when they hatch.
Ancono, Muskovies, and khaki campbells

Also is it better to put food out twice a day or can I make feeders for them too?
I know more space the better but is their a rule of thumb like the 10sqft for chickens?

I live in the city and they must be kept in a run. No free range for them :(

With heavier breeds you will have to keep an eye on their weight and will probably have to supplement more Niacin for leg strength.
Drakes can't eat layer feed (same as roosters)

You can put food out twice a day as long as they are getting the amount they need. I use the black rubber bowls from TSC for both their food and water.

In the coop is 4 to 6 sq ft per bird. The run is 10 sq ft. Just remember you have to deduct from your sq ft whenever you add something to the run. (Food bowl, pool)

With heavier breeds you will have to keep an eye on their weight and will probably have to supplement more Niacin for leg strength.
Drakes can't eat layer feed (same as roosters)

You can put food out twice a day as long as they are getting the amount they need. I use the black rubber bowls from TSC for both their food and water.

In the coop is 4 to 6 sq ft per bird. The run is 10 sq ft. Just remember you have to deduct from your sq ft whenever you add something to the run. (Food bowl, pool)

Thank you, this helps so much.

Hi

Have a question. I just bought two muscovy girls to add to my two ducks and drake. I was told they were close to a year old but one certainly isn't. It's only been a week so I know more time is needed. But how long will it take for the two new ducks to want to house with the other ducks? Right now they are penned separate to keep my drake from harassing them. One is much younger than I was told and one of my girls runs her off. When I let them all out, the two girls stay to themselves.

I believe my pekin duck has gone broody. She's completely retreated to the small space underneath the duck coop and i rarely see her anymore. At first i thought maybe she was cold or sick, but then it dawned on me once i realized that she'd been a lot more territorial lately that she's probably sitting on some eggs. How many hours a day do they usually sit? It was warm enough yesterday for me to let them splash around in the kiddy pool and she didn't even come out for that. I see her in the morning when i throw them their greens and that's about it.

Once they begin sitting they sit 24/7 and only come out maybe 1-2 times a day for food pooping and bathing. If me I’d try and get a good look to make sure she isn’t sick and that she is indeed broody. Do you feed them anything other than greens?

Once they begin sitting they sit 24/7 and only come out maybe 1-2 times a day for food pooping and bathing. If me I’d try and get a good look to make sure she isn’t sick and that she is indeed broody. Do you feed them anything other than greens?

Yes, they get all flock pellets as well. My husband took a look under there this morning and she does in fact have a nest with like, 10-12 eggs he said. He said she was super pissed about him being so close and hissed, which I've never heard them do before.

If the eggs don't survive/ aren't fertilized, how long will she sit before she gives up?
20190308_084315.jpg
As she was climbing out from under there this morning :gig

Back
Top Bottom