Does anyone have experience using these playpens as a brooder?

Ermpickle

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I'm thinking about getting one of these play pens ( https://a.co/d/gMN4s1V ) as a chick brooder this time around. I'll have 6 chicks and my usual small animal cage is not going to work since they'll need to be inside a little longer this time of year.

The space seems good, my concern is water mess (maybe a tarp underneath?) and dust because the sides aren't super high. The other option is the typical large tote with a wire mesh lid but it won't store as easily as the play pen.

Has anyone tried this, thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028-164049.png
    Screenshot_20221028-164049.png
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 41
I haven’t used that type
But do use these ones
I’m able to start out smaller and add pieces as they grow to make it larger
I didn’t put the bottom on I put a blanket then a tarp down
Then puppy pads then shavings
Easy to wash and keep clean
Easy to take apart

Attachments

• CEF8594D-E2AC-4B6F-B10C-EEDBFBB1F319.png
    CEF8594D-E2AC-4B6F-B10C-EEDBFBB1F319.png
    412 KB · Views: 10
I used a playpen (like you've pictured) for the first time this year; purchased from Chewy.com. I think it was the 48" diameter with zip-off mesh top, and mesh sides, two of which that zipped down. Loved this setup! Also used a brooder plate for the first time, inside the playpen. All worked like a charm!

I had to move my setup from my barn into our guest quarters bathroom :rolleyes: since we had a heat bomb and massive drought right when my chicks arrived. I placed several old carpeted door mats down on the floor to help keep things warm. Then had a painter's tarp over all of that. The playpen sat on top of those. I only had 4 chicks but it was a nice space, accounting for the waterer, feeder, brooder plate, miniature wooden roost and some small cardboard boxes.

I used wee wee pads for the first few weeks, then transitioned to pine shavings with a few wee wee pads, then shavings only. By that time the girls had outgrown the playpen. Think about that transition as you decide on playpen size. Best of luck.

I’ve used a similar playpen to brood chicks. I’ve used it two years in a row (two batches of chicks). Mine has taller sides, however. I put a tarp down the second year to better protect the bottom. I used a heat plate, not a lamp.

It worked out okay—A little hard to clean, not particularly easy to access or see the chicks, but it was fairly cheap and I didn’t have to build anything.

I’ll probably use it again next spring but only because I’m cheap and don’t want to bother building something more suitable. I don’t mind using it for a few weeks with a handful of chicks, but not if I was a big time hatcher or raising multiple batches a year.

I used a playpen (like you've pictured) for the first time this year; purchased from Chewy.com. I think it was the 48" diameter with zip-off mesh top, and mesh sides, two of which that zipped down. Loved this setup! Also used a brooder plate for the first time, inside the playpen. All worked like a charm!

I had to move my setup from my barn into our guest quarters bathroom :rolleyes: since we had a heat bomb and massive drought right when my chicks arrived. I placed several old carpeted door mats down on the floor to help keep things warm. Then had a painter's tarp over all of that. The playpen sat on top of those. I only had 4 chicks but it was a nice space, accounting for the waterer, feeder, brooder plate, miniature wooden roost and some small cardboard boxes.

I used wee wee pads for the first few weeks, then transitioned to pine shavings with a few wee wee pads, then shavings only. By that time the girls had outgrown the playpen. Think about that transition as you decide on playpen size. Best of luck.
Any feedback or issues on using the heating plate in the tent? My only concern..but I'm thinking this will be a great option for me.

I’ve used a similar playpen to brood chicks. I’ve used it two years in a row (two batches of chicks). Mine has taller sides, however. I put a tarp down the second year to better protect the bottom. I used a heat plate, not a lamp.

It worked out okay—A little hard to clean, not particularly easy to access or see the chicks, but it was fairly cheap and I didn’t have to build anything.

I’ll probably use it again next spring but only because I’m cheap and don’t want to bother building something more suitable. I don’t mind using it for a few weeks with a handful of chicks, but not if I was a big time hatcher or raising multiple batches a year.
Any feedback or issues on using the heating plate in the tent? My only concern..but I'm thinking this will be a great option for me.

I’ve had no issues at all with the heat plate in the tent-playpen. I’ve used mine two years in a row and will likely use it again this year. I’d like a large wooden brooder on a waist high stand and with a lid on top that opens. But I’m spending my time and fun-money on other animal projects this year, so it will have to remain on the wish list. The doggie playpen has been perfectly adequate for my minimal needs! I run the cord out of the top of the playpen and can around it.

Back
Top Bottom