Does anyone have pictures of duck coop and run ?

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
A duck coop and run setup? What are the differences. I know ducks dont roost, need swimming area, what else? How many sq ft of coop and how many of run per bird? I want it to be perfect for my new Swedish Ducks!

Last edited:
duckramp.jpg

penpondwithdivision.jpg

silkieqtrswithlitterbucketnests.jpg

First picture:
This is my duck ramp access to the inside through the floor of their living quarters. It took a while for them to adjust and trust this form of entry.

Second picture:
This is their run they share with the silkies. It is divided down the middle and they each get 6 feet width plus its 16 feet long. Pond in the middle for just the pair of ducks.

Third picture:
This is the inside of the living quarters. Notice the drop down door (in raised position) on the right. These quarters are also divided .... Apparently the ducks dislike the silkies very much:rolleyes:

This is my setup for 2 call ducks and 4 silkies. They seem content with this arrangement. In the summer, I find it difficult to get the ducks to come inside at night. They'd rather stay outside, weather permitting. Occassionally, when I am home, I will let them all out and free range with minimum hassle amongst each other!
By evening, all are ready to settle into their perspective quarters. Sometimes they will try and explore each others "digs" and gobble down the grain when no one is guarding the food.

Hope this helps you make a decision for their needs.

Sylvia

Thanks, but necessity was the mother of invention and my "potting shed" turned into a coop! Didn't you just love that redneck barrier dividing the birds in their run?!
This summer I hope to make it more permanent and secured. Also wanted it to be pleasant to the eye since we nearly live in the backyard too.

Good luck on your ducks!

well, we've had chickens for years and this year have added ducks. we are planning on adding a wading pool and a dog house for the ducks. I'm afraid (knowing my chickens) that they will not want to lay in their nest boxes, but in the farthest corner of the dog house that I cannot reach for the life of me without laying in the mud and sticking 1/2 my body inside the dog house. I've been told by reliable sources, that chickens & ducks will get along fine...I just hope I've ended up with females & not all drakes.

I'm interested in seeing what everyone else is doing with their coops and ducks. we live in town and have the necessary permits to have animals, but I still don't want to be a difficult neighbor or create a huge mess with my neighbors.

btw, my run is about the size of my 2 car garage (behind the garage) and the chicken coop is 4x8x5...but in our history, the chickens only use the coop when it's really bad weather or at night when they are asleep.

Back
Top Bottom