Does anyone know anything about worm farming?

happychick73

Chirping
May 8, 2020
I heard that if you farm your own worms, you can have fishing bait, chicken treats, or fertilizer on hand at all times. If you know anything about worm farming please post below!
Thank you! :)

Hi, I farm my own mealworms, not sure if that's the type of worm you are talking about, but mealworms are SUPER easy to raise. You basically order/buy the live mealworms, put them in a plastic box with something like wheat bran or cornmeal, give them some fruits or veggies for their water, and feed the mealworms to your chickens! The mealworms will eventually turn into beetles, which will lay eggs for more mealworms, and you can feed the old beetles to your chickens. After several months, I do like to clean out the wheat bran and provide fresh wheat bran, and make sure to provide vegetables often and clean out the old ones. I also like to break up an old egg carton for the mealworms to crawl under and they enjoy it. Also, mealworms can't climb up smooth plastic, but if you don't want to risk it, you could easily put a lid with wire in the center so they can breathe. I hop this helps!

Hi, I farm my own mealworms, not sure if that's the type of worm you are talking about, but mealworms are SUPER easy to raise. You basically order/buy the live mealworms, put them in a plastic box with something like wheat bran or cornmeal, give them some fruits or veggies for their water, and feed the mealworms to your chickens! The mealworms will eventually turn into beetles, which will lay eggs for more mealworms, and you can feed the old beetles to your chickens. After several months, I do like to clean out the wheat bran and provide fresh wheat bran, and make sure to provide vegetables often and clean out the old ones. I also like to break up an old egg carton for the mealworms to crawl under and they enjoy it. Also, mealworms can't climb up smooth plastic, but if you don't want to risk it, you could easily put a lid with wire in the center so they can breathe. I hop this helps!
Thanks for the info! I will definitely use it!

Just going to put in here that you can use chicken food instead of cornmeal. Plus, if you're raising them to feed to chickens, you usually have chicken food on hand. I would hope.

Back
Top Bottom