Does anyone know what size a run should be for about 50 chickens?

Lookingforinfo

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I am looking at housing about 50 to 60 chickens in the future for both meat and egg production, this is not commercial I just have a very large family, but I don't know how large to make the run. The happiness of our chickens comes first so space is not an issue however I do need them in a run, not free outside, for I have very large birds in my area. Thank you for any information.

M.

If you use the search box in the upper left corner, you will come up with tons of info on that. However, I believe it is 10sf per chicken in a run, and 4sf per chicken floor space in a coop. (However, since my chickens freerange outside of their coop and run nearly everyday, I go with apx 2sf of floor space. But my chickens are never locked in their coop, they have 24/7 access to their run.)Hope this helps!
smile.png

Last edited:
50 chickens need a minimum of 500 sq. ft. It sounds huge but honestly it is not that big. Remember to proof it for predators including a cover; that was where I messed up and I lost 30 birds from multiple dogs getting into the run! Pretty horrible, but the next day I bought more and they are now laying! They have not been out of the coop yet as I have not redone the run as of yet.

If you're toying with getting 60, I'd say you need 600 square feet of space in the run. Better to have too much than not enough. You could break that down to a 20'x30' run, 15'x40' run, or a 25'x24' run (among many others, just as long as you have 600 square feet, lol)

Good luck with this adventure!
fl.gif

I second that! Bigger is better!

10x60 is pretty easy to put up using 20' pvc hoops like a giant cold frame with wire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom