Does anyone out there make jam?

Hi all,

I found wild cherry trees and harvested some. I wanted to try to make jam. I have never attempted it before, but followed a recipe. I halfed the recipe only because i spent 2 hours pitting wild cherries and only got 1/2 what i needed.I never used pectin before and the recipe called for 2 packages I used 1.

I was worried it would be runny, but the opposite occurred. It is very thick at the top, the fruit seems to have mainly floated up. The bottom however seems to be the correct consistency.

It is however the most delicious jam ive ever had aside from the consistency issue.

Any advice for my next batch so this doesn't occur? I would like to send it out as gifts. View attachment 1908405

I would like a gift of wild cherry jam. ;)

Hi all,

I found wild cherry trees and harvested some. I wanted to try to make jam. I have never attempted it before, but followed a recipe. I halfed the recipe only because i spent 2 hours pitting wild cherries and only got 1/2 what i needed.I never used pectin before and the recipe called for 2 packages I used 1.

I was worried it would be runny, but the opposite occurred. It is very thick at the top, the fruit seems to have mainly floated up. The bottom however seems to be the correct consistency.

It is however the most delicious jam ive ever had aside from the consistency issue.

Any advice for my next batch so this doesn't occur? I would like to send it out as gifts. View attachment 1908405
I make jelly. You cook the cherries pit and all and then strain out the juice from the fruit. I put it in an old (clean) pillow case. I squeeze as much juice out of it as I can. Also instead of measuring the water I just put in enough to cover the cherries and put a lid on it.

I got 21 measuring cups of chokecherries this year and it made about 48 +/- cups of Jelly. (12 big mason jars)

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/...ncherry-wild-cherry-jelly-certo-liquid-182223

I make cherry jelly, blackberry jam and jelly, black raspberry jam and jelly, and jalapeno jelly. I use the juice of the cherries that is left over after I cook the cherries to can cherry pie filling. Yum... :D

Anyone make plum jam or jelly? I did once, with red plums, and it was okay. I've got some big plums coming this week, and am looking for ideas.
Spiced plum? Strawberry-plum? Plum-blueberry?
Mary
Peach and plum jam is great but requires the use of the prune type plums such as Italian or Stanley.

I made cherry jam, using domestic sweet cherries, once. Pitting them took a very long time, and my hands were purple for days! I used pectin, the jam set, but it wasn't interesting enough to justify the time spent. Sour cherries would certainly be better!!!
How about making jelly instead? At least they wouldn't have to be pitted, just halved.
Any jam or jelly made at home is better!
Mary
Cherry jam is best made with sour (tart) cherries. Normal sized cherries such as Montmorency are easily and quickly pitted using the antique type cherry pitters.

I make strawberry jam with pectin. Everyone really brags on it, so I made some for the county fair. Well...There were loads of jams and jellies there - I didn't win anything ( also made chowchow). But... the judges never took the lids off the jars.
they let us pick up our entry after the fair. So how do they know whose is best tasting? all the colors looked roughly the same. Just asking.

I used to make jelly when the kids were home (I'm 70) My daughter makes Jam now. They went back to their raising. I was very surprise My son had his sister show him how to make jam for his family this year. (I was so proud of both of them) They made hot pepper jam, with apricot, peach, and plum bases. It is very good and not to spicy.

For the OP:

After you remove the preserves from the canner, shake the jars every once in awhile as they cool off and the jam sets up. The fruit floating to the top is totally normal in some cases, I have had this happen before. Just redistribute while it sets up, no worries.

Great job BTW!!

Anyone make plum jam or jelly? I did once, with red plums, and it was okay. I've got some big plums coming this week, and am looking for ideas.
Spiced plum? Strawberry-plum? Plum-blueberry?
Mary
I had a plum deluge a few years ago and I ended up making some fruit leather, which was just excellent if you like sour things, like sour candy I mean. The kids went nuts for it so it didn't last long. If you have or can borrow a dehydrator you might like to try some.
I also made jam and it was a nice change from blackberry!

Back
Top Bottom