Does anyone pen raise and release quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LostinQuailLand, Nov 20, 2010.

1. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

I am looking for those of you who raise their quail for release. If you raise your quail for release please post here. Let me know what your success rate has been and any difficulties you have experienced.

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    In many states that would be illegal unless you have a permit to do so. Check with your Conservation Department Please before you do any such thing.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:x2

4. LostinQuailLand

Yes I know that but there are those, like me, who have permits. I Thought maybe someone else on here does. I am just looking for people to answer survey questions about the situation

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Many Things Must Be Done To Ensure Sucess (if You Wish To Call It That... Best Case Scenario= 25% Make It To Their 1st Breeding Season, Majority Will Be Males)

1. Limited Contact= Birds For Release Are Raised In Huge Flight Pens That Seclude Them From Anything Human- They Never See A Human In The Light Of Day... All Care/ Maintenance/ Feeding/ Upkeep Is Performed At Night

2. Huge Flight Pens

3. Support During And After Release- These Birds Are Moved To Release Areas And Housed In A Jonnie House For A Few Weeks Prior To Release To Acclimate To Their Natural Environment Before Being Turned Loose On The World, Once Release Time Comes The Door Is Opened And They Are Free To Come And Go From The Jonnie House As Needed, The Jonnie House Is Maintained With Food/ Water/ Shelter Until The 1st Breeding Season And Supplimental Feed Stations In The Release Area Also Help. The Typical Jonnie House Is Constructed In A Particular Way As To Allow The Birds Small Openings To Come And Go At Will But Yet Too Small For The Average Predator To Effectively Gain Access

6. LostinQuailLand

Quote:JJMR, would you be willing to answer a few survey questions?

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sure I Will Answer What I Can

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by