Does anyone see a problem with my roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey peeps! My dad built this really neat roost, it's got three long perches, and the whole thing is built on a giant hinge so when I want to clean I can hook it up on the ceiling of the coop. The only thing is Dad built the roost with square perches? And because of the angle, the chickens were roosting on the corner of the wood. I felt too bad to say anything, he put a lot of time and effort into it (which is rare for him [​IMG] ) but my chickens were falling off and having trouble balancing. And one of our neighbors told me a perch like that could cause bumblefoot (EEK! [​IMG]) So after racking my brain for something to fix this problem easily, I came upon a 98 cent bag of copper pipe insulators! [​IMG] VIOLA! Problem was solved. I just popped the foam tubes onto the perches, the chickens were happy, I was happy, life was good. But now my mom is concerned the chickens are going to eat the black foam and get sick or die. I think it's pretty unlikely? They haven't really bothered with them. There was a little bit of exploratory pecking, but then they just seemed to enjoy the "cushy-ness" on their feet. I don't want them to get sick, but I just don't think they're going to eat that foam while they've got a whole run full of grass and bugs to pick at. Do you guys think I'll be alright? Or should I listen to my mom and take the foam out? Thanks so much!!

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'd be worried about them eating it also. Could you sand down the corners or just unscrew them and redo it partially so they are straight?

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You know we need pictures [​IMG]

Jenny

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will eat the foam. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.

5. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. We just redid the outside of the coop and I want to show it off a little anyway [​IMG]
    And bah, you're right, that's not what I wanted to hear, lol. [​IMG] Why can't cheap easy fixes ever work?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Cover the foam with duct tape.

What size are the perches? 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x4, ? You might be able to find a wooden molding that will round off the edges when you add it.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They will eat duct tape too (anyhow mine do).

The best solution I suspect is to see how the roost bars are attached, detach them, rotate them 45 degrees so that the flat side is up, then replace the screws or whatever are holding them tight [​IMG] This will work pretty easily unless your dad did something ambitious like glueing or dovetailing.

If he *did*, I would suggest getting a draw-knife if you have one, or just some very coarse-grit sandpaper and a bit of *time*, and get rid of that top square edge.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by