Does anyone use the nipple water drinkers?

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to use the nipple water wtih no luck at all. I got my girls after they started laying and cannot get them to drink from them. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
Mary Ann

Mary Ann, I haven't set mine up yet but I'm read several places to slowly drip water over the nipple drinkers so that the chickens can see the drops of water falling and become interested. You may have already tried this, but I decided to mention it just in case you haven't.

Best wishes,
Ed

Thanks Ed! I tried that last year, but they weren't very thirsty. Now that the hot weather is back I'll remove the other water and give it a try this weekend.

Mary Ann

Roger that, Mary Ann. Holler back with the results.
smile.png

Ed

My waterer is a three gallon bucket with a lid and it keeps the water CLEAN! I have three nipples in around the outside and in the center I put a Korky toilet fill valve attached to a garden hose. When the water gets a little low, I just turn on the faucet long enough ti fiull. If I need to leave town for a few days I just leave the faucet on and hope there is not a blow-out. ( I always have someone checking daily, but it's nice if all they have to do is get the eggs.) My gravity feeders also hold about 5 days of food. That's just some of the gadgets shown at my sites.

Quote:
That's funny! Especially when read out of context.

You know, I've been thinking that through the better part of this thread, but was afraid to mention it. Glad someone else did, though! lol

I just got the push-in version from Farmtek, and they work great. I have a 5 gallon bucket with three of them with the layers, and a couple of 3 gallon buckets with 2 each in the tractor with the meat birds. I don't have tops on the buckets. All the chickens seemed to have figured them out quickly. I will be interested to see how they hold up during the winter...

I love saying 'chicken nipples'.

Here's my fantasy:

I want pre-assembled, ready to go nipple waterers for my run and another for the coop. Aesthetically & functionally, I prefer those that use PVC piping and then keeping the reservoirs outside the run and coop for easy refilling. I like those drip cups I've seen that hang under the nipples. Whatever it needs to prevent the nipples from clogging, I'd like to have already installed.

I have an Amish Board and Batten style coop that is 4X6' and am trying to build an attached run. It's hot here and I don't have shade outside the coop and run, so the bucket should be white, not black.

I REALLY DON'T want to be looking for drill bits or going through a trial and error period. I don't want the small bottle or the bucket style with the nipples directly attached.

Any suggestions? Does anyone sell those kind? I'm in the SFV in Los Angeles. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom