Does broody = mean? Will she get nice again?

saritastar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Spokane, WA
My sweetest little D'Anver hen, Rosemary, has been laying since the end of August. Pretty much an egg every day. Last week I found her in the nest box and she puffed up at me and squawked, so I knew she got gotten broody. I took her out and all the eggs out, including the 'dummy' egg and that was it, she never got back in the box. I thought, wow, how easy, lol. But she hasn't laid an egg since.
sad.png
And she has gotten to be not so sweet.

I have 2 Sebrights that just started laying and she has been especially mean to them. Like running up on them from a few feet away, their backs are turned so they don't even see her coming and they get a big ol' peck on the butt. They won't even be near her and she sees them and chases them. Keeps them away from food, etc. None of my other chickens are being mean to the Sebrights, and I'm not real sure if Rosemary is even the lead hen. I realize this is probably just normal chicken behavior but it's bumming me out, since Rosemary was my sweet little girl for so long.

Will she go back to that? How long does it take for broodiness to go away when they aren't even trying to lay on eggs in a nest?

she is just protecting her nest my chicken always does that when broody and broddiness cal last for months and some are hard to break i had one broody for 4 months but she kept failing then give up and they will sit on nothing

Back
Top Bottom