1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does fighting in the brooder indicate potential roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aubreynoramarie, Mar 15, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i just sold three of my showgirl chicks and the buyer is contacting me concerned that two of them are fighting alot. They are about a month old. Could this indicate two roos? if so i will exchange one of them for a different chick..

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, I don't say they are males until I see them fighting/ play fighting at 8 weeks old.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

No.

Even my adult hens will spar and belly bump when one upsets the other.

In chicks, it is all about pecking order at this age. They are in new territory now, and all the old home rules go out the door [​IMG]

ETA: Unless of course it is two cockerels [​IMG] (pullet will spar with pullet, pullet will spar with cockerel and cockerel will spar with pullet)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    My hens do have arguments especially over dirt bath holes, snacks, scratching spots, but the roo will come stand between them and they go back to scratching the ground or find another hold to bathe in.

When they are little they buck up like roosters do and the feathers around their neck come up and they bump chests and do a little dance lol I think its funny.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    All it indicates for sure is that they are establishing pecking order. I would be hesitant to swap out until you know. No sense bringing in unecessary chances of disease if you don't have to. Just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by