Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Pics
So I made up some baby bird formula with the gro2max probiotics in it, but my alpha and beta hens are getting almost all of it. I divided it into two bowls, and they won’t let anyone else have it. I did see Lucky sneak a few bites, but I wanted her to get more.. I may make up some more.

I also did two rounds of a warm, damp washcloth on her back end. She had quite a bit of poop collected back there and smelled bad. She’s not done being cleaned up by any means, but she was walking a little funny, I think because she was so messy back there. She protested a little bit, and suddenly my alpha started going after her. I think it was more out of jealousy, so I picked her up and finish the job at my height. I won’t give her so much attention in front of the other birds moving forward. Except for when she sits on my lap which is normal behavior for her.

Do you know what else I noticed when I was out there? I heard her old voice! I’m so very happy. I thought I may never hear that again.

Last edited:
It’s been raining nonstop all day. It literally has not let up for one minute. The rain is very very very much needed here in California so I’m not complaining. But I feel sorry for the chickens. I think a little runabout would be good for a Lucky, but I don’t feel like standing out in the rain, and I don’t think the chickens feel like going out and playing in it either.

It’s been raining nonstop all day. It literally has not let up for one minute. The rain is very very very much needed here in California so I’m not complaining. But I feel sorry for the chickens. I think a little runabout would be good for a Lucky, but I don’t feel like standing out in the rain, and I don’t think the chickens feel like going out and playing in it either.
I feel the same way. I sometimes give them something to do on these days, like cut up a pumpkin or put a pile of leaves in the run.

Having spent a good fifteen years of my life in Santa Cruz, I'm qualified to talk about it raining there. One summer in '74, it rained all summer without letup. All summer. The water table was an inch from the surface.

In January of '82 was the 100 year flood, and the San Lorenzo River just about overflowed into the town, but not before it took out the phone and power cable under the bridge. The town had no power for two weeks, and everyone was suffering mightily from warm beer. A lot of people died, though, washed away by mud slides and churning creeks. One crazy surfer we all knew, surfed the swollen Soquel Creek out its mouth and was lost in the high surf it dumped him into. Santa Cruz knows how to do rain, even in a drought.

Having spent a good fifteen years of my life in Santa Cruz, I'm qualified to talk about it raining there. One summer in '74, it rained all summer without letup. All summer. The water table was an inch from the surface.

In January of '82 was the 100 year flood, and the San Lorenzo River just about overflowed into the town, but not before it took out the phone and power cable under the bridge. The town had no power for two weeks, and everyone was suffering mightily from warm beer. A lot of people died, though, washed away by mud slides and churning creeks. One crazy surfer we all knew, surfed the swollen Soquel Creek out its mouth and was lost in the high surf it dumped him into. Santa Cruz knows how to do rain, even in a drought.
Wow, those are some crazy stories! We rarely get summer rain, so that’s wild to imagine! Sad about the crazy surfer. I hope they had the ride if their life! The water table being so full sounds… unstable?

I think you may remember I live just a couple miles south of Lexington Reservoir off Hwy 17. The reservoir has been very low for a few years, so I hope this helps fill it back up a little.

I brought one of my “chicken” towels, which is an old, large, square beach towel out into the run and they gathered around. I think they all love towels because I raised them to sit on them on my lap since they were chicks. I had a large feed bowl where I had dumped the “dust” left from their crumble, dampened it, and topped it off with warm baby bird formula spiked with the probiotics. Lucky was definitely eating it. I also saw her poop. Urates were on the yellow side and green part of poop was too soft, but at least it was real poop. Before the damp feed treat, I had shredded half a large zucchini all over the dry half if the run. Lucky had a good time with that, too.

Last edited:
Lucky is having a really good day. Here’s a video of her right now, along with her friends. Excuse the ugly white tarps on part of the run. I had to slap them up super quick before I left on my trip and didn’t even get them tight. I think I’ll get the clear shower curtains and do a better job of it this year, but I had to get something up real quick before I left.

The important thing is that Luckys body language is very good today. Maybe she’ll surprise us like Ruby and hang on for awhile.

Last edited:
Lucky is having a really good day. Here’s a video of her right now, along with her friends. Excuse the ugly white tarps on part of the run. I had to slap them up super quick before I left on my trip and didn’t get even get them tight. I think I’ll get the clear shower curtains and do a better job of it this year, but I had to get some thing up real quick before I left.

The important thing is that Luckys body language is very good today. Maybe she’ll surprise us like Ruby and hang on for awhile.

She looks so happy, doing all the fun chicken things!

Back
Top Bottom