Does it ever feel like work?

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
frow.gif
I only have 5 Pullets and started getting eggs last week. Every egg is SO eggsiding to get.
celebrate.gif
I got 1 a day for 6 days then they skipped a day then I got 2 yesterday!!
wee.gif
SO I am wondering does it ever feel like work taking care of your chickens and gathering eggs?
hu.gif
It doesn't for me but maybe it would if I have more birds.

Lately it's feeling like work because I have quite a few birds. However, in the beginning it was quite easy and relatively fun

When it's 20 below zero and you have to check for eggs several times a day to keep them from freezing. And cleaning the chicken house is not a great joy. Otherwise, I'm still lovin' it after several years
wee.gif

Last edited:
I love it. Especially cleaning the coops. I put my earphones in and listen to my Ipod and that is my me time. I have been doing it for almost 2 yrs now. And I love the time to myself with my animals.

we are going on 2 years with our flock , we get about 4-6 eggs per day. It never feels like work for us because we love spending time with them , They are much more of a pet to us then a "working" farm animal. Naturally we have to go out and mingle with them twice a day regardless ( morning let out & closing the barn down at night) so to pick up the eggs while doing so doesnt bother us at all. When it comes to not being able to eat all that they produce(storing , sorting and cleaning of the eggs) the answer is simple for us- Our pet pot belly percy loves him some fresh eggs in the morning... As far as cleaning- Poop Boards are a must! After that its just all about enjoying their company and making awesome meals with their eggs!!

Yeah, it feels like work right now,
Lots of outdoor animals, its 22° at 1:40 PM and have been in single digits or worse at
night, plus lots of snow right now...
We needed the moisture, but

Sorry it is my dark time - I wont feel better for a couple of more weeks!!!!
Thanks for listening.

I do love all my outdoor animals, but I worry so about my free ranging peas and the horses
during this worst time of year.
The chickens are in a coop....

I go to work at about 0300 and I have been late moe than a couple of time bc of animals
(cattle-horses) that are loose.... So I guess it is not just me.

Happy New Year Every One!!!!!!!!

Every chore is a joy for me except one: The waterer. I hate that the ducks have it gone within a day, and I have to lug it inside the house to fill it, as my hose is frozen. It is pretty darn heavy to carry back out, and I usually spill it on myself once a week.
barnie.gif

Other than that, I love everything about it!
smile.png
Especially the egg collecting!

Only when it's 20 or 30 below and you're hauling water. Trying to get through deep snow, while not jiggling and spilling water down your leg. The rest of the time, it's quite pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom