Does it ever feel like work?

The only time it feels like work to me is when I have chickens that I never intended to keep for whatever reason and they are the ones who are making the most mess: spilled waterers, wasted feed, pooping in the nest box, etc. That may sound mean, but if I am attached to a chicken, it's less work somehow in my mind.

I also consider it more work than play when you let them out to freerange and the few you don't "adore" out of the bunch end up being the ones you have to chase back into the coop when it's time to get put back up. The "good girls" go by themselves and the "less liked" ones always seem to require that galloping chase with net in hand...

Taking care of my animals is my daily joy
smile.png

To me the answer to that is why do you have them to begin with, and do you have way more than you intended in the begining. That could cause more to do than you thought.

Quote:
I got them because my hubby says Chickens are what you give for 10 year anniversary presents. LOL we had been talking for months about getting chickens and he surprised me with 5 (1 day old) speckled sussex chicks. I love them they are all so sweet most of the time. I always thought it would be more difficult having chickens then it is. I guess it might be if you have more.

Its winter I dread, more a PIA dragging water down to the coop. The hose is frozen, outside waterer freezes and the inside one is more active gets dirty quicker, so got to bring it up to the house to clean. Then the snow presents another problem,got to shovel out the run, plow a path to the coop oh yeah joy. Granted its been a pretty mild winter here in southern New England so far but can really turn on a dime so you can't get complacent. I got to cover the NE facing side of the run because thats the direction the truly ugly weather comes from, blowing heavy snow. But still love the whole idea of having chickens, its been really fun, educational, rewarding and starting to make some of the money back.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Doesn't really feel like much work. Gather eggs daily, refill feeders weekly, fill water barrel every 2 weeks. Clean out deep litter every 6 months. Frankly I like to spend time in the backyard on weekends so I'm either enhancing the coop/run or the garden area. Beats the heck out of being a couch potato.
Keith

When I have to open the coop for the free-ranging chickens at 6 in the morning and close it again when it gets dark it does. And when I have to clean poop-filled chick waterers. But it's worth it when I have five or six of the hens following me around the yard the whole time
tongue.png

So far it has never felt like work. It has been far easier to get to than taking care of Rusty the rabbit last winter. And, now that Rusty is in the chicken coop, taking care of him has been a breeze as well.

The only fly in the ointment is carrying water in the winter. My carpal tunnel makes it difficult and so often half the water is gone before I reach the coop. Sigh! I still have a few kinks to work out with the water.

I understand your question. I have to be careful not to let myself get carried away with enthusiasm and get in over my head. However, I've found that chickens are pretty easy to sell. We hatched out some eggs. and when the chicks got older and it was obvious I had six roos in the bunch, I sold them within a day.

I always love collecting eggs - and even cleaning the coop isn't difficult. It's a good type of work because you can see results immediately. If and when having chickens stops being enjoyable, I will simply sell the chickens or at least some of them. Until then, I'll enjoy them - and I'll enjoy the benefits of having them.

Back
Top Bottom