Does it work just as good to let the chicken hatch the egg!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Codyandme1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I dont really want to go out and bye an incubator just to hatch a few eggs, and was wondering if it works just as good to let the broody hen hatch it instead of putting it in the incubator!?[​IMG]

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    It would work better because that is mother nature...

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I agree..it works MUCH better [​IMG] Although sometimes you end up with bad mommies who eat their young [​IMG] I've had two. And then some are GREAT with the chicks [​IMG] Just have to watch them when time gets close [​IMG] The chicks sure seem stronger letting mom brood/raise them!

Good luck!

4. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently had a broodie chicken & 2 broodie ducks Hatch their own and there's no doubt about it, they all did a Better job at hatching than me. lol They are all 3 great mom's but Very protective. Very hard for me to get their babies from them. I still have 6 ducklings I need to remove & their already close to 3 weeks old. The down side to letting a broodie hen hatch instead of incubating is that the babies end up NOT being very friendly/tame. It takes a while for them to get use to you. From now on, I'll be doing the hatching. lol ~Julie~ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by