Does my duckling have a problem?

Pearl says thank you :)

I've only had my ducks/chickens for 6 months (first time with both) and Pete passed away in may (he was two month's old) but it felt longer, the saddest part was watching Pearl quack for him, before he passed they could never be separated :( and I love ducks more then I thought I would, when I was thinking about getting ducks I was telling everyone how i would prefer chickens over ducks, and now here I am, thinking about getting 7 more in the spring, I now prefer ducks than chickens but I love both. I want some Indian runners, blue Swedish, magpies and another buff Orpington, but none crested and I've thought about call ducks

Your ducks are just gorgeous though, what print/color are they?

I didn't think I'd love ducks this much either! Indian runners are great :) 7 more in the spring? Sounds like a dream come true! Plus some new friends for Pearl x

Last edited:
Sooo I have a question about the duckling I originally posted about. It is eating well and drinking and I have the yeast for the niacin deficiency! It seems a lot better already! Thanks for the great advice :D the problem now is that it's membrane is still attached, it only hatched on Sunday but it's just a dried up little placenta looking thing and the duckling has been picking at it but is unable to remove it!

It looks like it's ... I don't know.. dying? It doesn't smell offensive, just bothers the duck and looks disgusting.. will it come off on its own? I don't want to hurt the little one!

Any advice welcome x

Sooo I have a question about the duckling I originally posted about. It is eating well and drinking and I have the yeast for the niacin deficiency! It seems a lot better already! Thanks for the great advice :D the problem now is that it's membrane is still attached, it only hatched on Sunday but it's just a dried up little placenta looking thing and the duckling has been picking at it but is unable to remove it!

It looks like it's ... I don't know.. dying? It doesn't smell offensive, just bothers the duck and looks disgusting.. will it come off on its own? I don't want to hurt the little one!

Any advice welcome x

I'm so glad it helped! :D

And the placenta thing I have no clue, I've never hatched ducks or seen such thing. My advice is to ask in the hatching section/forums :)

The pet shop said he was a call duck! Haha, I don't really mind, he isn't too big for the girls I have so it worked out ok
smile.png
Call ducks are small, like a pound and a half, whereas saxony ducks are at least 8 lbs.You'll know :)
But the colour pattern can be the same, because call ducks are blank slate, so to speak.

Does that look like a call duck size to anyone else? It looks bigger to me.... I don't have calls

@Pinoak Ridge? Any else have calls?

They do seem a bit bigger, not sure what breed they are then!

This is our only one that looks more like a call duck and she is smaller than the rest

Back
Top Bottom