Does my duckling have a problem?

Spooka

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
QLD Australia
Hi all!

I'm a new member and I would really appreciate some duckling advice! I love ducks! I have 5 adult ducks and 5 baby ducks smile.png I have a 2 day old call duckling that may have a defect of some kind. It jumps suddenly and erratically, it has splayed legs so I'm not sure if that is contributing to the problem or if it's a brain thing sad.png all the other ducklings sit still sometimes, it's as if this little one is having a twitch or something.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? It sometimes gets stuck ok it's back and can't get back up, breaks my heart! Even when it is covered up, it will be falling asleep then just wake up running and flapping about until it is falling asleep! It eventually stopped the waking up and going crazy thing after 10 mins and is now sleeping peacefully.

What does this sound like? Any advice welcome
Thanks!

Last edited:
Sooo I have a question about the duckling I originally posted about. It is eating well and drinking and I have the yeast for the niacin deficiency! It seems a lot better already! Thanks for the great advice :D the problem now is that it's membrane is still attached, it only hatched on Sunday but it's just a dried up little placenta looking thing and the duckling has been picking at it but is unable to remove it!

It looks like it's ... I don't know.. dying? It doesn't smell offensive, just bothers the duck and looks disgusting.. will it come off on its own? I don't want to hurt the little one!

Any advice welcome x

I'm so glad it helped! :D

And the placenta thing I have no clue, I've never hatched ducks or seen such thing. My advice is to ask in the hatching section/forums :)

Bingo, eureka,whatever. From Wikipedia:The Australian Poultry Standards states in its introduction of the Australian Call that the breed is noticeable larger and has a different colour range to North American Calls.[5]
(Lightbulb goes on....check spooka's profile)
From Spooka's profile...Location: QLD Australia
That, I believe, explaines it.
Here in USA, call ducks are very tiny. Like a big handful size. I've seen them at fairs.

Hi @Spooka

call ducks are great! i love mine

is it still flipping over? it may need some electrolytes Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876

good call on the niacin, it is VERY important, even in adult ducks

what are you feeding them?

Good luck with them!
-Liz

Hi all!

I'm a new member and I would really appreciate some duckling advice! I love ducks! I have 5 adult ducks and 5 baby ducks smile.png I have a 2 day old call duckling that may have a defect of some kind. It jumps suddenly and erratically, it has splayed legs so I'm not sure if that is contributing to the problem or if it's a brain thing sad.png all the other ducklings sit still sometimes, it's as if this little one is having a twitch or something.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? It sometimes gets stuck ok it's back and can't get back up, breaks my heart! Even when it is covered up, it will be falling asleep then just wake up running and flapping about until it is falling asleep! It eventually stopped the waking up and going crazy thing after 10 mins and is now sleeping peacefully.

What does this sound like? Any advice welcome
Thanks!

Are you sure she's not having seizures?

Welcome to BYC :)

Last edited:
Are you sure she's not having seizures?

Welcome to BYC :)

My duck pete ( RIP Pete :( ) as a baby would fall on his back and couldn't get up unless I helped him, later on he started having seizures, started 1 seizure every two hours to 3 seizures an hour, we had to put him down, one of the hardest things I had to do. He was crested and he was born with neurological problems so there was nothing I could do. I can't tell, is your duck crested?

I'm not sure, it sure looks like she can't control it! Is there anything I can do if it is seizures?

If she is crested there will be a small cotton ball like tuft of feathers on the back of her head, it's when theres a hole in the brain and skull and a lump of fat and feathers cover the hole, hint the cotton ball of feathers and crested ducks are prone to neurological issues, that's why pete died, he was crested.

Or it could be a niacin deficiency which ducks 1 - 8 weeks are prone to

To treat niacin deficiency: sprinkle brewers yeast (not the kind of yeast you cook with) over her food until 8 weeks (I will send a picture of the yeast i used for my ducks)

Niacin deficiency can cause seizures and in severe cases cause leg problems, which might be the issue with your duck

Last edited:
Oh wow! Ok, thanks! I hope this is the case and brewers yeast will help :D

She has a little patch of flat feathers on the back of her head, she is a call duck, no crest.

Thanks for helping x

Back
Top Bottom