Does only one rooster crow in a flock if there is 2 roosters?

MrViskers

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Australia
My rooster is not crowing only my old rhode island red rooster crows the other fella is about a year old but he does not crow and he is nervous but Im pretty sure he is breeding with the hens.is he scared to crow or is the rhode island red rooster just top of the game and only he has permission to crow? sorry for the silly question.

I have several roosters, and they all crow. Sometimes together and sometimes one after the other. When there is a full moon they crow all through the night. I do however have 1 little guy that doesn't crow, but he is partially blind.

we have 3 roosters. 2 RIR and 1 Wyandotte. The 2 RIR crow quite a bit. Not annoying but like they are talking to each other. The Wyandotte is at the bottom of the rooster pecking order. He tends to run and hid a lot. Still when he is by himself or feels safe enough he crows.

I have 3 and they all crow. The lowest in the pecking order seems to crow when the others aren't around. They tend to crow one after another. Or when they here my neighbors roo from 3/4 mile away.

Depends on the roosters. If the older one is quite assertive and has iintimidated the younger one enough, that can inhibit crowing. The breed of the younger roo can contribute, also. Some breeds, like the cochins and brahmas, are naturally more docile and will defer to the dominate rooster's crowing.

I currently have a 4 year old roo, a 1 year old roo, and two 5month old roos. All crowing.

I think your set up may have something to do with it, also. If the younger roo can get out of sight of the older roo, he's more likely to crow.

An implied question might be, "Why do roosters crow?" I think, just guessing, it's like dogs barking over distances - they're communicating with one another. Like a dog's bark, a rooster's crow is designed to travel very long distances.

A rooster crows just in case there might be other roosters out there that need to know he's there. Also, because they feel like crowing, and it feels good to them.

When I had two roosters at the same time, they both crowed, and on occasion, would synchronize the crow. They also wanted to kill each other, given half a chance, but I doubt it had much to do with their crowing.

Back
Top Bottom