does partridge carry the columbian gene?

Questions are always welcomed!

Wheaten is very good at helping make the body "clear". Look at some wheaten hens, they have very little or no markings on their bodies.. the black is pretty much only on the tail, maybe the hackles and some on the primaries.

An amazing amount of breeds or colors have wheaten in them, however nobody would know or could tell just by looking at them. For example, RIR and Buff Orpingtons are wheaten based. You can't "see" any trace of wheaten on them right? But what it does is help give them that clear body. The "tricky" part is wheaten is very affected by many different genes.. for example, Columbian with wheaten often does a good job at making a clear bodied bird with black only on the tails, hackles and wingtips- in both sexes instead of just the hens.

Clear bodies are desirable on Mille Fleurs because it helps establish a buff body(plus mottling).

I'm not too familiar with the mille fleur pattern so I couldn't answer why not use brown red or partridge base.. my wild guess is those bases would present too much problems with making the birds too dark or struggle with too much "pencilling" on the bodies.

Last edited:
Mike, I have four partridge girls I can send you some test eggs from if you want, whenever they start laying, I can put them with the mille roo and you can hatch and report back to us!
big_smile.png
(my other girls quit again)

Hey all
frow.gif

Thanx Kev Love plain english explanations Understand the clear body thing but wasnt sure about why the partridge or brown-red couldnt be used as a base But makes sense now Clear is good but penciling and definite markings are bad
smile.png
How hard would it be to remove the penciling? I have some Partridge coming from Jamie Matts next week and along with my mottleds I am going to try and put some type back into my millies Their color is pretty well set now but they lack type and I want it back Am even thinking about re-introducing the buff columbian Might have to start over using typey birds and then introduce that line into mine over time It might work but then again it might not While Im at it Wouldnt happen to know where I might be able to get a pair of wheatons would ya? Thanx again Kev Might be picking your head again
big_smile.png

Mike
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Brown red are a gold birchen and have a crow wing; I believe an individual would want a duck wing in mille. The brown gene found in the partridge bird would work but the females would have a problem with black stippling on their backs. The partridge variety also carries the pattern gene which could be removed from the birds with a little culling and the correct breeding regimen.

Tim

I think it might cause a marbled birchumbrian frizzle, with purple toes, but not a hundred percents sure on that... I'll check a bit more and get back with you on that one....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom