Does this look fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    For some reason I'm really dying to try crossing my Blue Copper Marans roo with my BO hen but I'm not sure if he's doing his job yet... I cracked on of my BO's eggs this morning and here's what I found:

[​IMG]

I apologize for the poor quality of the pic... That may ruin chances of a proper answer but it was the best I could get with my phone [​IMG]
    I've compared it some pics on here but I'd love a few more sets of eyes. Hopefully a little description will help make up for what the pic lacks. It's definitely bigger than the tiny white dot on this thread, but smaller than dot on the fertile egg in the second picture. the edges were cloudy with a slightly darker, less cloudy area in the center.

Opinions?

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    yes... well i think so lol

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

on my eggs it is near the center not on the sides where the ch- er ... that stuff that suspends the egg in the shell is (brain hiccup) ... it really resembles the target logo.

Maybe a spider bite.

4. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Would it work to keep the egg in a warm place for a day or two to see how it develops? Just wondering if that would get things going a little bit to get a clearer picture of whether or not it's developing.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Chilaza is what you are thinking, but not sure of the spelling as it has been over 24 years since I was in Agricultural school.

6. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Looks fertile to me!!

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    fertility rate 99%

8. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    That's what I like to hear!!! I'm planning the big new coops for our new house and it has definitely given me the bug to start incubating! I was doubting Copper's rooster skills because I let them out the other day and saw him try to mount my black Marans... He got her pinned down and then proceeded to stand upright on her back for about 30 seconds. He seemed very pleased with himself and totally unaware that maybe this method isn't the most effective [​IMG] LOL!

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It looks fertile to me too! [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Looks fertilized to me also.

Either that or I need to clean my monitor again.......

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by