Does this look like Marek's? 5 of her sister's died of Mareks.

kat1066

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2023
First time buying chickens I bought from Feather Lovers. Long story short something happened with the Vaccine they were supposed to get. Down to 2 chickens left. They are Bielifelder and are about 9 months old and have been laying eggs almost everyday for the past month. This morning found this one at first not leaving the roost, then she came out and huddled on the ground. She was fine yesterday. I have her in the house now isolated and have given her an egg yoke mixed with poultry drench. She has taken a few bites of it. She is standing in the box, her feet seem normal but she isn't moving much. She seems more alert than her sister's. The only visible sign is a small amount of bright yellow from her bum. I am praying it is something besides Mareks.
IMG_20230208_104123396.jpg
IMG_20230208_105455661.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_104129872.jpg
    IMG_20230208_104129872.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 1
First time buying chickens I bought from Feather Lovers. Long story short something happened with the Vaccine they were supposed to get. Down to 2 chickens left. They are Bielifelder and are about 9 months old and have been laying eggs almost everyday for the past month. This morning found this one at first not leaving the roost, then she came out and huddled on the ground. She was fine yesterday. I have her in the house now isolated and have given her an egg yoke mixed with poultry drench. She has taken a few bites of it. She is standing in the box, her feet seem normal but she isn't moving much. She seems more alert than her sister's. The only visible sign is a small amount of bright yellow from her bum. I am praying it is something besides Mareks.
View attachment 3399266View attachment 3399267
Sorry this was supposed to be posted in the illness section.

I’m not an expert by any means, but that seems more like a possible internal laying or stuck eggs symptom, than Marek’s.

My flock also has Marek’s. Hugs friend! ❤️

How did you confirm the mareks?
If your flock had merecks, so does she.
what is her diet?
I took all 5 to our Vet and the vet sent to a place for a necropsy and results were positive. We keep hoping each time one is sick that it is something else treatable. This hen seems more alert and mobile than the previous ones. They are spoiled and get layer feed plus extra special treat food and vitamins. Give fly larvae every few days as well. Only leftovers they receive are veggies and fruit I would eat. Nothing spoiled. She is walking around a little more in the box.

I took all 5 to our Vet and the vet sent to a place for a necropsy and results were positive. We keep hoping each time one is sick that it is something else treatable. This hen seems more alert and mobile than the previous ones. They are spoiled and get layer feed plus extra special treat food and vitamins. Give fly larvae every few days as well. Only leftovers they receive are veggies and fruit I would eat. Nothing spoiled. She is walking around a little more in the box.

I’m not an expert by any means, but that seems more like a possible internal laying or stuck eggs symptom, than Marek’s.

My flock also has Marek’s. Hugs friend! ❤️
What should I do for that? Or should I make another appointment for our Vet?

That's a real bummer, I'm sorry to here that. You can giver her supportive care and the might get through it.
What' s extra special treat food? How often is it given?

Back
Top Bottom