Does this look normal??

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi all new here, first post although been following many threads since summer. Up here in Atlantic Canada our Muscovy girl decided to have a late clutch. Started with six eggs down to 2 under her which I think are no good. This one pipped inside almost 2 days ago but was having a very hard time breaking through the shell. We decided to bring it inside and make a small hole so it could breathe as movements were dropping off.

It peeped like mad once air got in. It was very vocal for alot of the morning. We broke away around a part in the air cell to see how it was doing. One very miniscule bit of blood but stopped in a minute, No real attempt to break out but noticed the veins in the membranes have shrunk alot since this afternoon. Tonight we chipped away the shell to the very edge of the air cell and tucked the inner membrane back. We have been keeping that membrane moist with a q-tip. It has rested alot this afternoon and has peeped to get our attention a few times.

Never done this before. Our chickens were laying until a mink somehow got in and killed all ten, but I shot it while going through the nest box.

So we are doing whatever we can to save this baby. Oh its in our closet , temps 95+- 2 degrees and a moisten paper towel over it to keep moist. Any thoughts at how long it will take to emerge. It blood is really being absorbed from the inner membrane and the yolk has to be too.I thought with the amount exposed it would stick that cute head out, but no.

Update! pic is this morning. After removing a bit more shell it decided it wanted out while I as in the barn. I can see the yolk sac inside the bottom of the shell. Do the newly emerged duckling usually just lay there with little twitches and the occasional chirp? How long to absorb that yolk sac and try to stand. Getting more excited now.

Last edited:
He/she is doing great now, At 3 days old weighed 60 grams and today at 9 days old is 150 grams. We love its little black pants!! But his feet and legs are shedding skin. Is that just from fast growth, do you think? Eats, drinks and poo's like a machine. lol. "Turbo" is just adorable. Pics from today

Last edited:
Yes peeling skin is normal they are growing so fast. what a sweetie.
love.gif

You did I didn't know you had more coming?

Nope, I mean the ones I helped last week.

Don't worry, I still have the same eleven, and ALL are eating and drinking with the very attentive mama.

I just finished the front/South wall of the duck coop I am working on...about to go out and start on the roof section.

Zook,

Congrats on the baby, ADORABLE!!!

Nope, I mean the ones I helped last week.

Don't worry, I still have the same eleven, and ALL are eating and drinking with the very attentive mama.

I just finished the front/South wall of the duck coop I am working on...about to go out and start on the roof section.

Zook,

Congrats on the baby, ADORABLE!!!
Pic's when you can...
pop.gif

Here is a few pics of Turbo now at 11 days.
Lydia, As we said his legs are thick looking, at least to us but no siblings to compare too. Wide leg spread and never anything close feet touching when walking. Turbo can now climb straight up my wife from the floor to sit on her shoulder.It seems an amazing feat of agility. But we hope for a duck but won't be surprised its a drake. What do you think?

Also show a pic of Turbo's house/play mates. Our Affenpinscher dog "Munk" (14 lbs) and our Flemish Giant rabbit "Gish" (17 lbs). Gish lives with the muscovy ducks outside and was in for some playtime with the dog.

Here is a few pics of Turbo now at 11 days.
Lydia, As we said his legs are thick looking, at least to us but no siblings to compare too. Wide leg spread and never anything close feet touching when walking. Turbo can now climb straight up my wife from the floor to sit on her shoulder.It seems an amazing feat of agility. But we hope for a duck but won't be surprised its a drake. What do you think?

Also show a pic of Turbo's house/play mates. Our Affenpinscher dog "Munk" (14 lbs) and our Flemish Giant rabbit "Gish" (17 lbs). Gish lives with the muscovy ducks outside and was in for some playtime with the dog.

Turbo is so cute and looks like full of spunk too, with the leg spread sure makes me think drake but they can fool the dickens out of us so we'll have to wait and see in a couple more weeks, I was sure my drake was a duck,wishful thinking on my part . lol although I love him to pieces he's full of spunk and himself too.

I always get nervous when I see a dog around a duckling, Please be careful it only takes a sec for things to go very wrong.

Back
Top Bottom