Does this mean she is broody? HELP ME!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Hi. I have three ducks, and I think one of them is broody? I put four rouen eggs in the coop just to see, and they were all turned on the other side this morning. Is she going broody? I put five more in there and another rouen eggs was laid. So theres ten. Do you think one will go? I have two khakis and one rouen. I dont want the khakis eggs hatched, just the rouens. Should I make a new pen if one gos broody? Will the two drakes I have (1 rouen, and 1 khaki) hurt the ducklings? HELP ME!!!!!

Just wait it out and see. Someone could start sitting at any moment if they truly want to go broody. Did they build the nest them selves? Have any been acting different? Didnt your ducks just start laying recently to? How old are they?

Yeah the rouen just started. But the two khakis, the lady said have been laying a few months. The rouen is like 7 months.

well, they kinda did. The drakes like to mess up the straw everytime I clean the coop. So it was every where. So yesterday morning all the straw was back in the coop in a cute little nest with two eggs in it. They were a rouen egg and a khaki egg. And they were much more clean then they uasaully are.

Calm down first
lol.png

You have to see if she will continue to sit on them! You will know because she will continue to sit and only go out for food and water. Trust me you WILL know in time if she is going broody! These are signs, nesting building, and rotating eggs... but then again I have females that do this and in a week just stop sitting and push all the eggs all over the place
sad.png
So if your really set on them broodying there own you just have to wait otherwise you could hatch them yourself. I assume you have candle lit the ones you put under and they are fertile???

And yes if she does go broody I would make another pen for her and the ducklings just till they are big enough to be with the group. Not all drakes are aggressive towards the young, but I wouldn't take the chance. Its also nice just to build a nice nesting pen like that to have
smile.png

But I wouldn't disturb the nest with the eggs till you know for sure she is actually broodying them.

I just bought a pekin female and female rouen that have been broodying for years now and hatching out each egg under them.. so I am hoping this spring (its already 50s here and turning winter) they will give me some babys! Since I don't have time what so ever to do it myself... just have to wait and see
smile.png

Quote:
They have been makeing nests, and turning eggs. And my drakes were very evil to my ducklings from metzer, I put them in for a minute or two and the rouen drake grabed one by the leg and was running around with it! So I dont trust him.

Quote:
Mine do too lol! Im hopeing if one does it will be my rouen, only becuz she isnt nearly as flighty as the khakis. The lady that traded them to me said they were really nice and you can pet them. Yeah right. I cant get within twenty feet of them!

I still dont have a very good idea for a pen yet?
hmm.png

Quote:
I have five big ones. And six little ones. And well I kinda have ten eggs in a nest
gig.gif
! I really hope one gos broody. If one does go broody should I seperate her and the other two girls, or just her?

Back
Top Bottom