Does this seem a little high for a chicken?

I charge $5 for 4-8 week olds, $8 for started pullets and $10 if they are closed to laying. If I get a breed that's harder to come by, I will charge more depending on the quality.

Concidering that most places charge $2-$3 for a chick, and the cost of feed and the time invested, $7 seems reasonable for a chicken that's laying. The big question is how long has she been laying, if she is 3-4 years old, I would not pay as much as she may not be laying for much longer.

edited to add: see if you can work out a deal with your dad to work off the difference

Last edited:
A feed store/pet shop here in Phoenix sells adult hens for $20 and adult roosters for $12. This is for mixes and non-specified breeds. A named breed, regardless of quality sells for more.

Concidering that most places charge $2-$3 for a chick, and the cost of feed and the time invested, $7 seems reasonable for a chicken that's laying.

Hi! Considering cost of feed and time invested to get a girl-chick to point-of-lay --- $10.00 is a deal.

smile.png

Lisa​

around me a pullet at point of lay sells for $30 or more, chicks for $4 and up I do not think $7 is bad at all. There is time, expence, and cost of feed to factor into it.

Quote:
Ya i already have the money... he just doesnt want me to spend it all on "expensive chickens" because usually around here they only cost 5 or 4 dollars a piece..
Thanks!
~Bri

I agree with everyone that $7 is very reasonable, even cheap by some standards, for a pullet (even a mutt). A lot of time effort & feed went to get that bird to that age.

Back
Top Bottom