Does vaseline work to prevent frostbite on combs?

An article I read said it was more the action of rubbing them and getting blood flow moving than the vaseline itself. Many though seem to agree it might help if you have high humidity. I don't think it would do anything for just plain cold weather but most chickens don't frostbite only because it's cold. Moisture and possibly windchill play a big part.

Quote:
I was thinking that this week too!
big_smile.png
He'd kill me! The reason I got chickens is because he said NO to any birds in the house. So....I got the next best thing.
lol.png

Last week it was -10. I was worried about my girls too. It was 22 degrees at the coldest in their coop and I was worrying. Geesh. You guys are cold in your coops compared to that. I guess I'll be worrying a little less.

I've been slobbering them up with vasoline too. michickenwrangler said it best.

Quote:
I don't know if it helps or not really. But I'll do it anyway. As least I'm trying.
roll.png
if only for my own piece of mind.

Last edited:
Quote:
If it were a bit warmer, say the 30's-40's, I'd say toss 'em out there, but the weather the way it is.........I'd rather be safe than sorry. You are definitely not pampering them too much-just being a good chicken mama!

Ok I confess....I have young chickens in the cellar because it is so cold here. they are the only ones I do not worry about. I have insulated coops. one has hearty laying breeds. that coop I do not worry abou too much. they seem happy. The other has bantams that do not seem to be happy in the cold. some are japanese. I have been putting petroleum jelley on the roo as his comb seems to be a little purple. they have a brooder light set down low so they can go under it to get warm. on the really cold nights they are all under it. this is my second winter with chickens. I worry all winter.

Quote:
Yes, I feel your pain...My rooster's comb and wattles were turning yellow on the edges..After closer examination it was deterimed he was chapped, so I greased him up! He is doing well now, and no signs of chapping, but it's warmed up some. I'm sure I'll have to grease him again lol

Back
Top Bottom