Does your city allow 8+ chickens?

Sundari

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Denver, CO
We're working in Denver to get a new ordinance that allows people to keep 8 hen chickens/ducks with a simple license (instead of an expensive permit). Some members of City Council are squawking (ha!) about 8 hens, thinking that 6 would somehow be a more reasonable number.

If you live in a city that allows the keeping of 8 or more hens, would you reply here? I know there are websites that compile urban chicken laws. However, I find that laws change quickly and sometimes the websites aren't up to date, so I'd just like to hear anecdotally from those of you who are in the trenches.

Thank you!

My city only allows six. That seems to be the 'golden number' for most municipalities. I don't know why. I would be interested to learn the reasoning behind that number.
I live in South Salt Lake City, and in nearby Salt Lake, they allow different numbers of hens depending on lot size/zoning, R-1-4 can only have 4 hens, R-1-7 can have 6 and R-1-12 can have 8. Unincorporated Salt Lake County does not put a limit on hens, but does have a sq ft requirement for coop and run, and they do not allow 'free range', ie hens must be confined to a run or pen separate from a yard.
Don't know if this helps.

The town I live in is adopting an ordinance specific to outside animals with the small animal category covering rabbits, hares, domestic fowl.

There is a maximum number of 10 small animals allowed (any variety/combination of animals in the category) with a certain amount of square footage required per animal.
*** I read over the proposal again (they send copies of the proposals to all interested parties, keeping us up to date prior/between meetings) and there is a minimum requirement of 200sqft of yard space required per small animal, so 10 animals requires a minimum of 2000sqft.

Four foot high fencing is required and must be no closer than 5 feet from the property line & 25 feet from buildings on neighboring property. They have also listed requirements on cleanliness, waste disposal , feed storage and were kind enough to include a grandfather clause.

Initially, I was unhappy with the limit, because I have rabbits also, but the local Zoning Board has been very patient, open to suggestions and willing to work with us and 10 is not completely unreasonable, particularly if they only come out if your neighbors call.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom