Does your spouse or significant other support your chicken hobby?

My DH has been wonderful so far, and we don't even have our chicks yet! So far he has INSISTED on building an amazing brooder (I was just going to use a rubbermaid tub) and is researching our coop needs so he can start converting an old shed into a coop and run. He even offered to drive two hours in the middle of the week to go pick the chicks up from the hatchery. I said no to that one; he works that day, and will have to pick them up from the post office as it is since I work far away.

I will be undertaking their daily maintenance, but DH has been all over the prep work!

Other than collecting the eggs everyday my hubby has no interest, he sometimes feels the cost is too much but he realizes it is something I really enjoy so does put up with it. Doesn't understand that they are my pets and will not be going in the stew pot at anytime. But despite our differences of opinion we work it out.
D.gif

Short answer, no, not really. After 3 years of negotiation, I finally went ahead and built the coop and run and got myself some chickens this past spring. My husband is still not impressed with chicken keeping, especially since they are not quite laying eggs yet (any day now!!!).

Mrs. Mudd is very supportive and appreciative, and fairly helpful as well. I still do most of the work, but she likes to be involved. She understands that losses are part of the game. She went from thinking the six I originally bought were too many, to understanding why I bought another either, to wanting to help pick out the next eight. Now she'll point at one hen or another and say, "You need to hatch some of her eggs."

My DH has been wonderful so far, and we don't even have our chicks yet! So far he has INSISTED on building an amazing brooder (I was just going to use a rubbermaid tub) and is researching our coop needs so he can start converting an old shed into a coop and run. He even offered to drive two hours in the middle of the week to go pick the chicks up from the hatchery. I said no to that one; he works that day, and will have to pick them up from the post office as it is since I work far away.

I will be undertaking their daily maintenance, but DH has been all over the prep work!

Sounds like he liked the idea of a PROJECT! Just keep adding until he says no LOL

I call my DH a closet chicken lover. when I told him we will have chickens he told me I was nuts. We live downtown a major US city. BUT first egg comes around, first omelette is made, chicken pictures he is first one on Facebook posting those pics!!! all proud of that stuff. plus he loves eggs. so I suspect he can call be crazy all he wants he jut won't admit he is crazy along side with me...

Last edited:
Mine just smiles at me, and teases me if we have to buy eggs! They are my project, and we are secure enough that the feed bill is a non issue. He has never done ANYTHING with the chickens, except eat the eggs!

Not really. My wife said no but I told her I was going to get the wood to build a coop and she didn't believe me. Well she open the garage door and saw a half built chicken coop and realized I was serious. After the coop was built I told her I was going to pick up chickens and again, she didn't believe me. She was a little mad when she came home to see chickens. She's better about it now, but I think it's because our 2.5 year old son loves the chickens and helps care for them.

Back
Top Bottom