Doesn't it look like these girls are ready to lay....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by socalchicks, Dec 30, 2009.

1. socalchicks

socalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    or is it just wishful thinking on my part?!

[​IMG]

Rizzo - EE

[​IMG]
    This is Rizzo again, I just thought it was a cool picture!

[​IMG]

Reba - RIR

[​IMG]
    Ginny - RIR

They are all at 22.5 weeks. They are getting more aggressive with each other (not mean, just getting in each other's faces and the occasional karate kick!) and they are pretty loud. I haven't seen any of them squat yet.

I know they aren't late yet, but I was hoping they would be starting soon!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    They look ready to me! [​IMG] Especially if they are 22.5 weeks! I hope it is soon for you! [​IMG]

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    They look ready!
    then again, I have a wellie that looks ready and she breeds and everything, but she hasn't laid yet. She's 30 weeks old at least! [​IMG]

Rizzo is stunning! What type of EE is she? Auracana or Ameraucana x what?

4. socalchicks

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    Quote:Thank you! I think she's beautiful, but I may be a bit biased! She's also the smartest and friendliest of my 5 pullets. If I sit out with the girls when they're free ranging, she'll stay right with me - mostly in my lap!

I'm not sure what she's crossed with, she came from a hatchery. Whatever she is I think I got lucky with her!

5. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    My RIR got ready first...My EE took forever.....Then one day I went out and found a blue green egg......I screamed and scared the chikens and the dog half to death..........About the time you think it will NEVER HAPPEN.....you will find a surprise......Have you increased their protein? That might help...What about a golf ball or fake egg to give the the idea......I have heard that works too........Good Luck....[​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Reba and Ginny are close to point of lay. Rizzo is not even close. I would be surprised if Reba and Ginny do not start within the next month. [​IMG]

My RIR started around 18-19 weeks. My buff comets came in at 16 & 17 weeks. [​IMG] No special food, just 16% layer pellets. No artificial light. I always have given my girls tons of fresh raw greens along with their regular feed as opposed to leftover cooked foods. Now in winter, I do give them leftover beans, noodles and such along with any greens I have. They get raw sweet potatoes that I have left over from the garden too.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    reba , i think is real close....

ginny not far behind...

dunno about rizo, never have had the pleasure of owning that breed...she is a pretty one.

8. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    It may have been coincidence, but I put a plastic Easter egg in the nest box when I thought my girls were ready, and 2 days later my Ameraucauna laid the first egg of all of them (2 Am's, 2 Australorps, 1 Wyandotte & 1 Dark Cornish). She continued to lay a pretty blue egg 6 days/week until October. The Australorps started in @ 4-5 days later.

Try the golf ball or Easter egg...can't hurt. [​IMG]

PS - was @ 23 weeks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  9. socalchicks

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    I've heard about the fake egg in the nest. I'll try that, it certainly couldn't hurt!

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully they will be laying soon!

10. NewRIRMom

NewRIRMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    My RIR started laying exactly at 22 weeks and 4 days (dec 19). I have had 16 eggs from 15 birds since. It's sooooo exciting to find those little treasures every day. They look so cute in the nest boxes. It shouldn't be long for your birds. Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by