1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog ate some layer pellet/scratch mix....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AnnieOakley379, Nov 15, 2009.

1. AnnieOakley379

AnnieOakley379 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Bristol County, MA
    My male got into a bucket of feed that I was about to put in the chicken's feeder & ate about 2 or 3 cups worth of it before I saw (& screamed at) him. This should be interesting in a few hours as he "processes" it. [​IMG]

Ah, dogs. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My papillons have eaten tons of chicken food. They lived. Look at it this way, its nutritious and right from the source! Probebly benefited her.

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Yep. Our dogs eat everything. Right now their favorite is Equine Senior, but they love chicken feed, scratch and chicken poop.

I'm sure your dog will be fine. It will pass out one end or the other. [​IMG]

4. AnnieOakley379

AnnieOakley379 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Bristol County, MA
    Yeah, he's fine...sleeping like a, well, dog. It's just interesting what eating big quantities of different foods does to his digestive system. [​IMG] He was out in the yard taking care of business for a little longer than usual this last time, but all's well. They've eaten worse things. [​IMG]

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    mine have eaten chicken feed, alfalfa, heck even horse poop and lived. I wouldnt worry bout the layer pellets

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I had a rescued GSD puppy(4-5 months old) eat 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of whole corn.... Um, yeah... There were "corn" piles all over the yard. [​IMG]

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Mine seems to prefer it to dog food. Doesnt seem to hurt her unless she eats a ton of it which is quite often. She likes to regurgitate it and have it the second time. It doesnt bother me except that it happens in the house from time to tme. She is quickly becoming an outside or garage dog, unless I am right with her.

I guess the unproccesed grain takes a couple of efforts to be digestable. It sure doesnt seem to make her sick

8. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Both of my GP's love to eat goat/chicken feed and they do fine... wonderful piles of poop -- I even got some corn growing in one area of the yard....

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] If only it would make them lay EGGS! [​IMG]

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Birdseed/scratch can be very irritating to a dog's digestive tract, and it's possible that it could make them pretty sick. All dogs are different, though. I had a Springer who ate tons of birdseed one day and didn't even burp. Depends on the dog. What one can tolerate, can make the next deathly ill. Best to avoid things like birdseed and chicken feed if you can (I know, they go out of their way to get into it [​IMG] )

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by