Dog Attack (no pics, no death)

kylara70

Songster
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Well, my lab/hound dog mix breed female got IN my chicken run and tried to eat my young chickens. My terrier (who could not get into the pen) was running around the outside barking his fool head off. That was the only way I knew what was going on. I saved them all, thank God, but I can't decide what to do about the dog. She did not actually catch anyone, but was trying her best. I knew she was WANTING the chickens, but I truly NEVER thought she could get into the run. Now, I know better.

We are beefing up fencing as best we can. Hen house is totally secure, they are locked up all night with a chicken cam for viewing. (also have infared for night vision). They would ahve to be human to get to them at night. It was broad daylight and the dogs are loose in the yard and no predator could ever get in the yard without the dogs creating all kinds of noise so I just have to have it dog proof.

I will be rehoming the dog (she is a foster pet) and I will definitely let the new owner know about the chicken issue. I really wanted to kill her yesterday.
sad.png
URGHHH

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:
So sorry. It hurts, you a mad but it will get better. I am having to bild my fences up taller now that I lost the 20= so I will will in the end. Hope the dogs didnt get them all or kill any.

Wow, glad you got there in time to avoid some losses! If a dog can get in, so can other predators. You need to beef up your fencing from the sounds of it. Hardware cloth and a nice strand or two of hot wire works wonders!
wink.png

Most all the chickens got in the hen house, only 3 in the run when I arrived. She was focusing on those 3 (one brave little rooster) and the rest???? Well, after rescuing the 3 and getting the dog secured, I went into the hen house expecting carnage. I had no idea how many were injured or missing body parts. I opened the door and ALL the chickens were up on top of the highest thing they could find, huddled together, straining their necks to look for Trouble. None were injured at all (other then the three outside). They were all up there panting and looking at my wide eyed like "Did you see that??!?!?!"
D.gif
ep.gif
D.gif
It was kind of humerous after i made sure everyone was okay.

I have 3 chickens (one roo, 2 pullets) with damage to combs (my son thinks they ran into the ramp while being chased). it is the right height and they hide there when startled so it is definitely possible. Also, it is the ONLY place they could get away from the dog inside the run since they did not make it in the hen house.

Carol O.

Back
Top Bottom