Dog attack-one chicken near death-what do I do?

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
Something attacked our chickens today, killing one and we found another one almost dead. Two are missing and we can't find any evidence of them...
I brought the injured one inside but she can't keep her head up, although she does move it once in a while so she is at this point alive. There are some puncture wounds, but my feeling is handling her more to find them might be too much for her. Is this the right time to put anything on the wounds? Or is it better to leave her alone in the box of shavings covered?

Something attacked our chickens today, killing one and we found another one almost dead. Two are missing and we can't find any evidence of them...
I brought the injured one inside but she can't keep her head up, although she does move it once in a while so she is at this point alive. There are some puncture wounds, but my feeling is handling her more to find them might be too much for her. Is this the right time to put anything on the wounds? Or is it better to leave her alone in the box of shavings covered?
found one hiding in back of the barn-still one missing

Sorry about the attack and losing the one for sure. I hope you find the second missing one. Were they outside when they were attacked or inside their coop? The one that is wounded, is she bleeding? She is probably in shock. I would try to stop any bleeding, and keep her warm in a quiet dim place for the night. What condition is the other chicken found hiding?

What do you have for disinfecting a wound? Vetericyn, chlorhexidene, and Betadine iodine are all good to use. Soap and water works as well. Remove any feathers getting into wounds. After cleaning wounds, then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep the wounds uncovered, and use a clean old towel for bedding. Keep her separated in a dog crate or basket. In the morning after cleaning her wounds or before, offer some water and watery chicken feed. Cooked egg is good as well.

Sorry about the attack and losing the one for sure. I hope you find the second missing one. Were they outside when they were attacked or inside their coop? The one that is wounded, is she bleeding? She is probably in shock. I would try to stop any bleeding, and keep her warm in a quiet dim place for the night. What condition is the other chicken found hiding?

What do you have for disinfecting a wound? Vetericyn, chlorhexidene, and Betadine iodine are all good to use. Soap and water works as well. Remove any feathers getting into wounds. After cleaning wounds, then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep the wounds uncovered, and use a clean old towel for bedding. Keep her separated in a dog crate or basket. In the morning after cleaning her wounds or before, offer some water and watery chicken feed. Cooked egg is good as well.
Thanks for the specific advice.
Yes the wounded one has some bleeding -will check if any more is coming out, and do what you've advised. The other one does have wounds or missing feathers on her neck but was walking and is now on the rooting pole. I think she will be OK until morning when I can look.
It's the one near death I'm more worried about. I do have some disinfectant. Will do that and give electrolytes. Do I do that by dropper?

Back
Top Bottom