Dog Attack! Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Until he is completely healed. If he has any open wounds, severe limps or other weaknesses, they may peck at him. It's nature's way of culling the weak from the flock.

But if you can have him near his flock, but separate from them (as long as he doesn't pace to get with them) their company could help speed up his healing. I know that was true for my hen. She had a huge wound and luckily no one picked on her. She's pretty high on the totem pole, and I didn't want her to lose her standing. Keeping him separate too long could interfere with his role in the flock. Is he the only rooster? I'm not saying put him in right away, just don't keep him separate too long either. You will know when he is strong enough to put him back in.

In the past, I have put recovering chickens in a cage inside the coop. I have a large parrot cage that acts as a hospital cage, and I have used dog crates also. I remember when Mildred was recovering from Marek's disease her friend, Buffy, sat almost constantly in front of her dog crate. I think that Buffy's companionship helped her recovery. Separation doesn't necessarily mean isolation.

I have the exact set up! (huge parrot cage next to the coop in the barn)
Very useful indeed.

Little Peck is back with the others and doing quite well! They haven't been picking on him even though he does have-i don't know if you would call it a limp- it's more like he's off balance. But he is doing quite well thank God! Thanks everyone for the input!

Back
Top Bottom