1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by spectrumranch, Dec 27, 2011.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20111227%2FAPN%2F1112270944

Authorities
    say a pack of dogs has killed animals at the Mobile Zoo for the second time since early November.

In the most recent attacks late Sunday night or early Monday, the zoo lost a pregnant red deer and an ostrich.

Zoo Director John Hightower tells the Press-Register that in early November, a pack of dogs killed a 12-point buck white-tail deer and 5 emus at the zoo.

After the November attacks, Hightower said he killed what he believed were two of the dogs. Mobile County Animal Control workers picked up a half-dozen other dogs near the zoo.

None of the dogs believed to have been involved in the most recent attacks had been found as of Monday night.

The zoo is about 25 miles west of downtown Mobile.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In 89, a pack of dogs killed 7 of an 8 animal herd of South African Springbok at the St. Louis zoo. All the dogs were killed before they could attack again.

3. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    What kind of fencing does the zoo have that dogs can enter? Hope the big cats are caged better.

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Wow, they took down an OSTRICH? I hope they catch those dogs. I would NOT want to meet up with them on a dark night. *shivers*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by