Dog attacked ducks

kynzinicole

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
My Dog gOt into the duck pen today at attacked one of my ducks. Fortunately I wasn't far behind and I got there as soon as she got one in her mouth I was able to pry her off really fast, but now my duck is limping. Well he tries to walk and falls over then will just lay there. I touched his leg and he didn't pull away or try to bite me and there is no compound fracture. He just looks like he is in a lot of pain. And he can't walk what can I do?!

Last edited:
It is possible that the leg is just badly bruised, or there may be a fracture. Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience treating broken bones in chickens/ducks. However, the first thing I would do is isolate your injured duck in a clean, well bedded area. Put food and water within easy reach. If possible, I would get some poultry vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics and put them in his water to help with the stress. I've also heard of giving birds some aspirin to help with pain--I believe the dosage is 1/2-1 tablet of aspirin, but I would wait for confirmation on that before dosing your duck.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck!

He has 2 puncture wounds, but he can't stand up, it doesn't seem like his leg is broken he might just be in shock. But he has a popping noise coming from his rib cage. It's like he is unbalanced. He falls forward.

A vet would be best.

The pop could be a few things - internal injuries causing air to leak from the lungs into the body cavity, broken bones like ribs, perhaps.

I feel that with proper treatment the duck could be okay - it will take some time and commitment. And really, a vet or perhaps waterfowl rehabber could give you some specific suggestions, if they are of a helpful mind.

Meanwhile, I agree with Bantamlover21, with the thought that some have expressed concern about aspirin - hennible recently wrote that the vet there says Advil for pain.

"For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally"

For puncture wounds, I have read that one needs to clip the feathers right around the wound so you can get a good look and clean it out. Rinsing well with saline solution a few times a day, or with Vetericyn spray. Keep the duck inside, away from flies since flies lay eggs in open wounds.

For a duck, time in a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in is time well spent - as waterfowl it seems to just perk them up to be swimming, and lukewarm water helps support them, getting weight off the leg but doesn't chill them - keeps the circulation going to the leg.

Those are my thoughts for now. You could post this over on the Duck Forum, where more duck people check in.

Back
Top Bottom