Dog attacked my chicken

Lande-la

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2015
I had a dog attack my chicken this morning. I got the dog off her. at first I thought she was dead but then I could see her breathing and when I picked her up she lifted her head. Other than that she was completely still and in shock. I immediately brought her in the house, put her in a crate and placed her near a vent in the bathroom with the heater cranked up. Got her to a good temperature. Electrolytes and probiotics in the water. Snipped of the feathers surrounding the wounded area cleaned with soapy water and then followed with regular bacitracin. It took her about 3 hours to respond and rouse out of her shocked state. Found no broken bones, which really surprised me since it was a big dog and he really had her pinned good.Her neck and shoulders are completely bare. Her feathers were ripped out. Couple shallow nicks but nothing really deep. She looks really bruised and beat up. Not moving much. Will let out quiet chirps and coos from time to time. able to stand and lift head but overall she mostly lays and is hunched over. Got her to drink a bit just now. I’d like to give her some baby aspirin to help with the pain but everything I read cautions again that unless you are sure there is no internal bleeding. I can’t find how to tell if there is or not. Also if any one has any further advice I’d welcome any input. Once she’s to a point of eating I plan on giving her crumble chick feed, eggs, yogurt, fish. I also plan on going to the feed store today to pick up injectable antibiotic since it’s a dog bite and I don’t want her to get an infection. Any suggestions as to what antibiotic to get? I’ll keep her isolated from the flock until she heals enough to be reintroduced.

I don't know about an antibiotic, but for the wound, put neosporin in it, and don't wrap. Make sure she is in a place were no flies can't lay eggs in the wound. Keep her stress free, can you post a picture of her and the wounds? What breed, and how old? Glad you go there out o fate dogs mouth! Vetrycin is also a great way to rinse out wounds, and a good thing to squirt in the wound the next few days, while recovering, and applying neosprin, or antibacterial ointment. Keep up the good work, Avery

Thanks! I appreciate it. She’s in my bathroom in a crate so no flys thankfully. I’ll get Vetrycin, I assume I could get that Tractor Supply? Here is a photo.

Attachments

• B70B5455-49F0-4B9C-B574-B47E7546C7CD.jpeg
    B70B5455-49F0-4B9C-B574-B47E7546C7CD.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 17
Sorry about your injured pullet. Many times you do not need antibiotics if the wounds are not deep, and you clean them twice a day and use plain antibiotic ointment. The only antibiotics available in feed stores would be Fish Mox amoxicillin capsules, or injectable procaine penicillin G in the refrigerated medicines. The possibility of internal injuries is there, but hopefully she will recover.

I don't think you need the antibiotic. Pull all the feathers away form the wound, and rinse it no wan then with saline solution, or diluted betadine. Yes you can get Vetrycin at TSC, I love it! I use that product for everything! You can out a mirror in the crate for her to look at so she isn't lonely, but you mostly just want her to be chill and recover. She doesn't look too bad, you did a good job! Avery

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help. I’ll forego the antibiotic. Got the Vetricin that worked great. Just keeping it clean now. She’s looking a lot better this AM. It really quite amazing how resilient chickens are.

Back
Top Bottom