Dog attacked my hen

edellefemine

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
I am currently in the middle of this incident and need help knowing what to do (and calming down)

Is peroxide ok to treat the wound? She looks very bad, but she's alive. She cant really lift her head but is opening her eyes and leaving them open while we are around her

She just randomly tried to get up, so she's fighting - but I fear she's suffering.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_092540.jpg
    IMG_20200809_092540.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200809_092515.jpg
    IMG_20200809_092515.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 22
If that is all you have. Yes, use it very sparingly. However, if you have contact lens saline (just saline), rinse the wound with that. If you have iodine solution, use that instead. Gentian violet or blu-kote are also good.

try to get her to drinkat done point, and easy food like wet feed or scrambled egg.

we keep sterile saline (contact lens solution), iodine, blu-kote, vet wrap handy. In addition, electrolyte paks (or homemade version) is also good.

We had a hen with side split open just like that, and it was looking pretty bad. But, we employed our arsenal of saline/iodine/blu-kote (and straight gentian violet) and she healed up great. We isolated her for about 10-14 days in a cage.

Good luck.

Im not sure about peroxide but I have used polysporin on chickens without issue, but not sure if thats "chicken approved" . I would move her to a quiet spot and let her calm down by herself. I had a fox that attacked one of our hens and it was still alive but after 1.5 days of not walking I had to cull her. I also had another hen attached, fox again, and she started walking again in hours. Give her time and observe her but it will become obvious if she will recover or not. The time will also allow you time to do whats best with a clear mind. Good luck, I feel for you.

I am currently in the middle of this incident and need help knowing what to do (and calming down)

Is peroxide ok to treat the wound? She looks very bad, but she's alive. She cant really lift her head but is opening her eyes and leaving them open while we are around her

She just randomly tried to get up, so she's fighting - but I fear she's suffering.
What do you have on hand?
Peroxide could be used for the initial cleaning if that's all you have.
Move her to a warm location inside if possible. Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a better look at how deep it is - easier to clean too.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Are you in the US?

If the injury just happened you can use hydrogen peroxide but shouldn't be used after that as it will kill new cells so it slows healing.
A better approach is to thoroughly flush with saline solution. Then apply betadine.
You can also use an eye type triple antibiotic ointment. The eye type melts at body temperature and will seep into the wound if it is too deep to flush properly.

Back
Top Bottom