Dog attacked Royal Palm hen, help please gory pic warning

Thank you all for your help and responses! She's still holding on, not trying to move around. Currently in a box with a towel around it. Going to see if I can find a vet to help her in the morning. If not, will antibiotics help, which one, and how best to administer?
Definitely try a vet. That is her best bet. I'm not sure this is a treatable injury for the backyard flock owner. Wishing the best to the both of you! Continue to treat for shock. I would say you can give 1/2 an aspirin for pain control, but I'm not sure if thats a good idea for not because of the bleeding response? We'll see what the experts say.

Keep her isolated in a preferably dark and warm place. Give her some electrolytes. If you don’t have any you can give her some sugar water, or some Gatorade. Give her some food. Scrambled eggs or mealworms anything she’ll eat to keep her stomach full. Let the wound air out so it’ll scab faster.
You do not want wounds this severe to dry out. The key to healing them is keeping them moist with antibiotic ointment.

I cannot tell if the deeper wound broke through into her abdominal cavity. Can you get a pic using flash? You have already done everything correctly. Once you get a better pic, some of our more seasoned peeps can hopefully advise on the next steps. I also highly recommend a vet if that is possible.

Thank you, I went ahead and gave some amoxicillen (sp?) and about 3 mL of electrolytes, which upset her enough to try to fight, but at least she got it down without inhaling. She does seem out of it. Sprayed her down with some more vetericyn in hopes that it will do some good.
It looks like the side wound may actually go into her body cavity but I'm afraid to try to probe it and see. She didn't actually bleed very much and I can't tell if that's a good sign or a very, very bad one.
The nearest vet who treats poultry and that I'm confident will actually try their best for her is an hour and 45 minutes away and if memory serves they're not open on Saturdays.

You do not want wounds this severe to dry out. The key to healing them is keeping them moist with antibiotic ointment.

I cannot tell if the deeper wound broke through into her abdominal cavity. Can you get a pic using flash? You have already done everything correctly. Once you get a better pic, some of our more seasoned peeps can hopefully advise on the next steps. I also highly recommend a vet if that is possible.
After some very light probing it doesn't seem like it goes all the way thru, but would if there was just a tiny bit of pressure. I coated her with half a tube of neosporin, if i run out of that will Vaseline work? She's still breathing heavily and can barely stand but tried to perch on the edge if her box. Will she stay moist until morning (it's 11 pm here) or should I set an alarm in a few hours?

Attachments

• 20220415_225111.jpg
    20220415_225111.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220415_225126.jpg
    20220415_225126.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220415_225051.jpg
    20220415_225051.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220415_225105.jpg
    20220415_225105.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 4
She's made it through the night, gave another 250 mg of amoxicillin and coated with more neosporin. Syringed some electrolytes in but she's not showing any appetite, going to try scrambled eggs here in a little bit.
Also gave half a crushed up aspirin
The avian vet is closed and with no emergency number

Last edited:
I agree with @Weeg . This is way out of 'backyard care' territory. She likely needs major surgery. I've seen birds bounce back from horrific wounds, but that is quite deep and needs to be debrided and cleaned out by a professional.

Try calling around to Emergency vet hospitals. Most of the time they can point you to someone who can help or in the right direction.

Best of luck with her and I'm so sorry this happened.

Back
Top Bottom