dog bite

kaitlynn1120

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
My rooster got attacked by my neighbors dog. He has all of his feathers pulled out from his tail to his back. Do I need to be worried about rabies? Also, what should I do for him? He's bleeding a lot from all of his feathers being pulled out and some of his skin pulled off. I put some Vaseline on him to help stop the bleeding. Any advise would help thanks!

Vaseline is not good for use in wounds. Vaseline is good for helping irritated, dry, inflamed skin.

Clean the wound out with hydrogen peroxide and close it with Blue-Kote (if you don't it, you can get it at a local farm store or TSC).

Rabies is a mammalian disease. From what I've read the only risk would be if a rabid animal bit your chicken and you transferred saliva from the wound to yourself via eye, nose or mouth.

Vaseline is not good for wounds. I'd clean as much of it off as you can, without doing further damage. Hydrogen peroxide is also not really a good option, it can damage tissue and slow healing. I'd clean it with Vetericyn spray. Vetericyn is very good, and can be used as much as needed. The hydro-gel stays where you want it. Your feed store may have it, if not lots of places on line carry it.
And if you need ointment use neosporin WITHOUT painkiller. Just plain old neosporin. If it's an emergency and you have nothing else on hand, then plain old saline is good for cleaning and flushing wounds.

For bleeding just use pressure with a clean cloth or gauze until it stops. If there are any broken off feather shafts that are bleeding you might have to pull them to stop them bleeding.

I'd isolate him til he's healed, in a crate cage or whatever you use, so you can monitor him and make sure he stays clean. He may be shocky from the trauma, so you need to keep an eye on him for a while. Make sure he's eating and drinking normally. Make sure he stays warm. Probiotics, vitamins and electrolites in the water are always helpful.

Back
Top Bottom