Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

We have a pound mutt--looks like a lab cross, all black and about 80 lbs who is great with the chickens, she ignores them and chases coyotes, hawks, etc. She's not so much guarding the chickens as she is keeping everything else off of HER property.

We also have an Australian Shepherd who is good with the birds, he'll herd the ducks sometimes when he's bored, but no chasing or chewing and he ignores the chickens completly.

The mutt is six and the Aussie is almost two. We had both dogs before the chickens and had no problems with integration.

Quote:
German Shepherd??

And I just googled Bernese Mountain Dog to make sure the spelling was right (never heard of them before) and I must say.. OMG how adorable!! Especially the puppy photos!! They look like a big bundle of lovable cuddleable doggy goodness!

Edited to add: I just read the wiki article on them.. now I really must have one!! I dont know how well they would hold up in an Australian Summer though
sad.png

Yes, German Shepherd.
BMDs are great dogs- big, goofy, lovable and they think they're lap-dogs. They are definitely cold weather dogs. They don't approve of the heat- too much hair.

Anything Terrier will kill a chicken in a heart beat. My ACD (Australian Cattle Dog) had never once hurt my chickens. She chased them when she was a pup and was scolded for it, but never once has she killed a chicken.

I don't know, this whole topic has me thinking that the majority are going to be BAD dogs, only by the responses alone, not the breeds, and truthfully, it may make people react badly towards certain breeds. I'm sorry, I just do not agree with this topic.
The majority may be GOOD with chickens, but are not listing them here
This may start giving certain crosses/breeds a very bad name
And to edit, also listing this as a 'database', is incorrect

Last edited:
Quote:
I never thought I would see the day when I would have the guts to disagree with a mod in public, but I do.
hide.gif

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier, and while he is never left alone with the chickens, he is often surrounded by them and has never killed a one. He went for the rooster a couple of times when I first got him, but after a few corrections, he now accepts them all as part of the pack.

My untrained, dumb as they come, black Field Lab is a natural bird dog and will eat what he can catch. He's is penned, and leashed at all times because he is fixated on the chickens.

My Schkipperkee will chase them for sport, but won't eat them. She's penned so she won't stress the chickens with her chasing. Schkipperkees were bred down from a type of sheep dog, so its natural for her to try to herd them.

Wolf hybred could be a problem with any kind of livestock. They are still part wild animal and can be unpredictable. I know several people who have had good luck with them and know several who learned the hard way that there is still wild animal in them. I do not recommend any kind of part wolf for anyone to keep. I know they are kewl and look neat but some times your just better off with a DOG.

4 dogs and 4 city chickens

I have another title you could put on the thread. "Chicken Chaser but NOT KILLER". I hope you will add that! Under it you would put Yorkie (Yorkshire Terrier is the dog I have 3 of them). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom