Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I am thinking of getting a puppy - wondering what breed I should get?? If you have a suggestion other than what is on the poll - please speak up! As you probably noticed I'm looking for a large breed dog!

Here's what I'm looking for in a dog:

Plenty of grooming work to do
Friendly - okay with new people - NO biting
Plenty of energy
Able to be trained into a hunting/shed finding dog!

Okay - this an update after much talk:
I have ruled out German Shepherd, Huskie, and Dalmatian. Because of the biting temperament and way too much energy.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do with the dog? What will his job be? How much land do you have? Do you live in a house or apartment? What kind of temperament are you looking for? What activity level are you looking for? How much time per day and per week are you willing/able to spend with the dog, caring for it and training it? How much dog experience do you have, and with what breeds? What type of experience?

No way to even attempt to answer your poll without more information.

Now, if you're asking what's my favorite dog, it's a Standard Poodle, for many good reasons. But there are many good reasons to get any of the dogs on your list, depending on what you're looking for.

I have seen that and will be getting two different dog breeds from different litters.
That won't help. Littermate syndrome is between two similarly aged dogs, doesn't matter their litter. It can be a big issue. Unless you have the time to devote to doing everything with each dog individually (separate walks, separate training, separate feeding, crates, etc), best to get one dog, then get another once the first is 1-2+ years old. Give your first dog all the attention it needs to really be a stand-out well-trained dog, then do the same with your second. Large breed dogs don't mature until about 2 years old or later, and will need so much of your time and lots of training.

What are you trying to do with the dog? What will his job be? How much land do you have? Do you live in a house or apartment? What kind of temperament are you looking for? What activity level are you looking for? How much time per day and per week are you willing/able to spend with the dog, caring for it and training it? How much dog experience do you have, and with what breeds? What type of experience?

No way to even attempt to answer your poll without more information.

Now, if you're asking what's my favorite dog, it's a Standard Poodle, for many good reasons. But there are many good reasons to get any of the dogs on your list, depending on what you're looking for.
I was thinking maybe looking for shed antlers and tracking deer and other animals. I have about 2 acres but a farm next door that I hunt and public land about 5 miles away. Plenty of places for him to run around. For temperment I am thinking calm but active. I love going on walks so probably twice a day or more. I know friends that have dogs and have walked them and .....

That won't help. Littermate syndrome is between two similarly aged dogs, doesn't matter their litter. It can be a big issue. Unless you have the time to devote to doing everything with each dog individually (separate walks, separate training, separate feeding, crates, etc), best to get one dog, then get another once the first is 1-2+ years old. Give your first dog all the attention it needs to really be a stand-out well-trained dog, then do the same with your second. Large breed dogs don't mature until about 2 years old or later, and will need so much of your time and lots of training.
I don't work or anything like that so I have plenty of time to work with them individually.

Also, most of the dogs you've listed are very training-intensive dogs, that are not generally recommended for first-time dog owners. If you don't get them from a reputable breeder and spend hours upon hours training them daily, they can be a dumpster fire. Do a lot of research into the characteristics of each breed you've listed, and interact with a number of them prior to trying to get your own. Having a mentor that is good with that particular breed is also helpful when you run into unexpected snags.

Also, most of the dogs you've listed are very training-intensive dogs, that are not generally recommended for first-time dog owners. If you don't get them from a reputable breeder and spend hours upon hours training them daily, they can be a dumpster fire. Do a lot of research into the characteristics of each breed you've listed, and interact with a number of them prior to trying to get your own. Having a mentor that is good with that particular breed is also helpful when you run into unexpected snags.
I had a Golden Retriever when I was kid and loved him! I will do even more research on each of them - I do have tons of time on my hands and that's part of why I am getting dogs!

Back
Top Bottom