Dog Breed suggestions??

What dog breed??

• Total voters
It would be a large breed dog - nothing the size of a cat!
It can have plenty of energy, I wouldn't mind.
I don't mind spending most of my day training.
I would love him/her to be playful.
I am thinking about training him to find shed antlers. Good listening skills and to be able to track deer to find the shed antlers!
Thats all very vague which is what makes it so hard to recommend any breeds

if its your first dog then I wouldn’t recommend any very high energy or drive dog and not too big either

Dogs don’t generally tire themselves out by themself, they also require time spent training and playing

have you owned a dog of your own? Walking and interacting with other peoples dogs is very different to owning one
how much grooming would you want to do? How much shedding can you deal with? Vocal or quite dog? how mouthy/bitey? what would your planned week or day be like with the dog? How much time would it be left alone? Have you had much experience with high drive breeds? Protective ones?
I had a golden retriever when I was a kid and loved walking him even though he was a bit crazy! I would groom him because that just seems like a plus to me - I would mind if he howls - I would NOT deal with biting. That would get him rehomed. Mornings go for a walk afternoon walk maybe even walk - probably every saturday go for a walk in the woods. I have people that come over to my house sometimes so I would want him to be okay with new people.

if you want a really good livestock dog, I would try Bernese Mountain Dogs, they're super handsome and loving and ours was SUPER good with all chickens, chicks, etc. They are kind of pricy tho I think.
he was really smart and easy to train as well but they can be stubborn

I had a golden retriever when I was a kid and loved walking him even though he was a bit crazy! I would groom him because that just seems like a plus to me - I would mind if he howls - I would NOT deal with biting. That would get him rehomed. Mornings go for a walk afternoon walk maybe even walk - probably every saturday go for a walk in the woods. I have people that come over to my house sometimes so I would want him to be okay with new people.
Then no protection breeds (german shepherd, doberman, etc) all puppies will be mouthy to a certain extent

Back
Top Bottom