Dog electric fencing

rjv_piper

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Utah
Hi, I am thinking about getting an electric fencing for my dogs. I have two brittany spaniels I would need it to hold. My dog is going to have puppies so I plan on using the money from the pups to buy it so it wouldn't be until july or august. I looked them up just to find out the cost, and got really confused. It would need to cover about 437 feet around the house.
I just need to know how they work and what you guys think about them or about how much and where you got yours from (if you have one). Any info?

I bought one this spring...THE BEST investment I ever made. I spent alot more though because I bought a wireless system that keeps my dog within 90 feet of the house without having to bury wire. It was $500 by the time the taxes and all went in.
You can get a wire one that is about $249 and you have to bury the wire. Ours is the petsmart brand.
Seriuosly I have never seen a gadget take an totally unruly dog and tame it like it did mine...overnight. She comes when called now and never leaves the yard. Is much nicer to have a dog that you aren't constanltly getting angry at...
Word of caution however...make sure you are home for the first couple of days that you use it because it will bring your dogs to thier knees and they won't know enough to get back inside the bounds. You HAVE to be there. Once they learn what those little white flags can do to them they will fear them and avoid them at all cost. I left the flags in for a bout 4 weeks then removed the flags ( the unit is still on) and cautioned the dog that it was still effective. Our training word is "careful" and she knows that means stop.

Last edited:
Morel, mine is from Petsafe also...same system but I only paid around $400 (that's with 2 collars).

I used to have the inground from the same company but this is well worth the extra money! I agree with you about that. What is best is that the boundary can be moved anytime and anywhere you have an electric source...no digging up line and sinking it elsewhere. I found it to be stronger and better than the inground, also, as they can get back in the boundary without getting shocked if they should somehow get out. We found that out when we wanted to use it to keep the dogs OUT of an area...we couldn't. It seems to work only to keep them IN. One can adjust the boundary with a little dial on the transmitter...so easy! We didn't have to use flags for our dogs, it only took one shot from the fence to keep them in the boundary. I wouldn't trade mine for anything! The dogs have freedom, all the dog mess isn't concentrated in one place, they have the freedom of going up on the boundary to use the bathroom (so none in the yard!! YAY!!!), and, to the casual observer, they seem to have free run of the yard. I feel this deters trespassers. You won't be sorry you invested the money. My dogs have the freedom of protecting my chickens and garden from animals and hawks this way. No kennel, no tie outs, no worn spots in the lawn.

Yes I love the idea that i can take it with me when I go out of town and plug in to anyones house and just warn the dog...they sure learn fast that a beep means "get back a few feet!" Are the wireless ones stronger than the buried wore ones? I know we had to go get her off the boundry once because she was just laying there howling..

i've used invisible fencing since it came out, through many dogs. Absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!! my dogs never get shocked after the training session, i have peace of mind when i leave the house, such a wonderful thing!!!!!

Quote:
That is what I love about it...she doesn't have to be locked in the house when we go out for the day. We can leave food and water out for her and she is happily waiting for us when we return!

I'm getting one as well with money from my litter of choc. labs pups. I'm getting mine from petsafe I can't get a wireless one cause I live on a hill with more than a 6ft drop and it won't work. I'm getting a acres worth of wire but if 500ft is all you need u need a 1\\2 acre worth of wire.

Quote:
Mine works...we live on a cliff kind of...about a 12-15 foot drop. I worried about it too and made the store promise to take it back within a week if it didn't. It works like a charm

I was told by my boss at work that it wouldn't work for me cause it didn't work for him and his hills aren't as steep as mine!! Maybe I'll reconsider!!

Last edited:
My sister has 7 acres fenced in with an "Invisible Fence" brand fence. She has 4 Gordon Setters and has no problems with them leaving the fenced area. The only problem she does have is - sometimes they don't come when she calls and she has to chase them around the 7 acres!
gig.gif

They installed the wire themselves using a ditch witch. They transferred the system from the house they lived at before which only had 1 acres fenced in. They even ran the wire through a small stream.

The main thing is to remember to replace the battery in the collars on a regular basis. Although her dogs are so used to the fence boundries that they stay in the yard even on the rare occasion that she forgets to put a collar on them.

Back
Top Bottom