Dog Got one of my Birds!

Smallflock2010

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Richwood, TX
Okay First post on BYC so here goes....

Late January my Wife gave in a let me get a few birds, that SOON turned into 5 barred rocks 2 black sex links 4 (what i believ to be bantam salmon faverolles? got em from somone who CLAIMED they were Russian Orloffs- NOT EVEN CLOSE in my opinion. Anway- the BR and BSL's are now approximatly 19 wks old. Every night when i get home i let all of them out to free range for a couple of hours before i lock them up in their "coon proof" coop.

Tonight i let them out and went in to eat dinner, 20 minutes later the neighbor came and got me and said that she thought a dog had gotten one of the birds. the neighbors are super sweet about my small flock and look after them as if they were their own, seems that a year ago ( i just moved in in November) they had a small flock that one by one diapeared due to a black lab about a 1/4 of a mile down the road. did a head count and sure enough mercedes was missing. the neighbors helped me look in most places until she mentioned that we should go and see if "that dog" was out of his pen again. sure enough he was, and he had picked poor mercedes virtually "clean".

I took pictures of this dog dinning on my chicken, then confronted the owner who appologized profusley. He offered to pay for the bird, get me another, whatever. i maintained my composure (which was REALLY hard to do) and i let him know that if it happened again of if i saw the dog in my yard, then Fido WONT be coming home that night.

My question is, can i LEGALLY do that? (eradicate the dog) i know that there used to be a law in texas that you could protect your "stock" and i am unsure if i will get in trouble for even making that promise. dont get the wrong idea, i LOVE dogs as well, have one that is GREAT with the birds, but those birds were just eating bugs in the yard...mercedes didnt deserve to die

Open to any ideas that some of you may have, i am new to log on and Post, but have been following BYC for months now and would like some of you guys expertise in this area if possible.

Thanks.

If you’re in Texas you sure can shoot an animal that is threatening your livestock. And you can shoot the owner too if he comes on your property uninvited. God bless Texas!
thumbsup.gif

Sory you lost mercedes.

Last edited:
Gotta love Texas laws...shoot the dog on sight if it comes on your property. You can contact your local law enforcement muncipality, animal control and so forth and verify shooting is allowed in your neighborhood/area. But you should not have any problems. The dog is a menace and had obviously wiped out another flock already. Kill it and be done with it, the owner is not that "sorry" or the dog would not still be getting out and running loose killing chickens. Eating it tells me the dog is starving or not properly cared for because it is a rarity for a dog to eat one...

I am so sorry about Mercedes.
sad.png

**update to my own question***

Just got off the phone with a Sherrifs Deputy, i as long as the Animal is in my yard i can legally dispose of the animal.

Just thought i would answer myself for the benefit of someone else that may be reading this thread!

RIP Mercedes.........
sad.png

If my dog got out, and killed someone else's chickens, I wouldn't expect to see her again. I did a lot of training at other people's farms with her before I decided to get chickens, if she had been aggressive to them I wouldn't have done it. She's actually completely ruled by them! She learned after a couple bloody pecks not to get too close! They all get along great now. I do keep her inside my fenced backyard, and I would never let a dog roam free, for it's safety and the safety of everyone else. Roaming "pet" dogs drive me nuts.

Quote:
Dang! No one ever believes me.
wink.png
I don’t blame you a bit for calling the sheriff. It was the right thing to do. There are too many internet lawyers that can get one in big trouble.
sad.png

Last edited:
Oh I Believed you Grumpy!!! Just neede that Reassurance...
big_smile.png

Giong to buy some fresh shells this afternoon on my way home!!!!! I will NOT lose another one of m,y girls to at least THAT dog. i cant believe that the neighbors let him whittle away their small flock of 10 one by one without taking care of it! they kept calling the Law and the law kept giving Citations, wont be any citations issued from me! this IS TEXAS after all!!!
wink.png

Yeah, thank God that we have the same rights here in Indiana too. Roaming dogs rub my last nerve as well! I haven't had to shoot one yet but I wont hesitate if one shows interest in our birds! So sorry for your loss.

That is great that the neighbor apologized AND offered to pay for the bird and buy you a new one, without being asked. Alot of neighbors won't even do that. I am sorry for your loss though.
sad.png

Yes you have every legal right to kill a dog (or any predator - except those on the endangered species list) that is attacking, threatening or killed any livestock. Chickens are classified as livestock, even if they are kept as pets, so they are protected by law.

I hope your neighbor will do something to restrain his dog, so that it doesn't come down to you making good on your promise.

Back
Top Bottom