Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I suggest a slightly different approach? Having a conversation with this neighbor can lead to arguments and different opinions. Perhaps a carefully worded letter delivered by registered mail? Explain that your were told your had the right to shoot the dog and that 3 attempts to get at your chicken, animal control will take him. Explain that you don't want to do these things and have their family pet taken away, but at the same time, this chickens are your pets and the dog is interfering with your ability to enjoy them. Ask them to get the dog off of your land but that is the pricier persisted, you'll be forced to follow animal control's advice.
That way, no confrontation. And you'd have record of the delivery of the letter. Then - take a picture of the dog anytime he's there, and call animal control after the 3rd time, call animal control.

That's a great idea. I'd also include language on how much you will charge for each chicken that is injured and/or killed, and put that price way up there like maybe $75-100 per chicken depending on age/breed. Just another idea.

Put hotwire directly on coop / pen area so dog gets zapped when contacting it. It is likely that would not qualify as a fence and would not be at property border where it would be seen. If a dog owner complains, then you would have their admission the dog is on your property setting up so HOA can then act on dog trespassing issue.

Animal control said they could come out, but that most likely by the time they got there, the dog would have broken in and killed the chickens. They were very nice and one of the officers even came out to check out my coop and run and said it was done well, but that a large dog would be able to break through almost anything if they are determined. He said he answered a call not too long ago where a dog had jumped onto the top of a coop and ripped off the roof, and another where a dog chewed through the coop before he could get out there.
Still call them out. I have done so before. In the end I used a combination of shooting dog and using fencing. Owner of most recent dog shot paid me.

Try talking to your HOA again; terrible neighbor dog problem! Can one neighbor's pet go around killing another resident's pets??? Is this dog a danger to you in your yard? You seem worried about it.
This neighbor is legally responsible for the loss of your bird, and any reasonable person would have apologized, paid, and fixed the issue already.
Move to the boonies! No HOA! Electric fencing! A real flock!
Mary

I don't think the HOA is going to help. This neighbor is the president. Sooo...no help there.

Yes, we are planning to move as soon as we have enough equity in our house to make enough to cover a down payment somewhere else. We have already had a lot of issues with the HOA "rules" changing at the whim of the president and their friends who are on the board. I wouldn't be surprised if the next change says no more chickens, although that would affect not only me, but three other people in our community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom