Dog is back again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooooooooo... don't shoot the dog. The fallout with the neighbors could literally be deadly (people are nuts).

If I were in your shoes, I would set a trap (but I'm also nuts). I'd lock up all my chickens except one brave soul who would give her life for the better of the flock- and leave a small area open in the fence faced inward- so when the dog pushed in, he'd have a serious issue getting out. Then he will be trapped in your Pen- after killing your chicken, and when you call animal control they will come take care of him.

That's obviously a bit over the top- but I've dealt with worse and come out ahead. Your neighbors laughing at their aggressive dog is enough for me to set the trap though. That dog's next victim may be the 4-year old girl down the street.
Ah... maybe frozen chicken would do the trick... ?!

I have electric wire around my coops and pens. If you get around a .5 joule fence charger and touch the wire, it's like a bee sting. If you get at least around a 1 joule fence charger when you touch the wire it might make your heart skip a beat. A predator with 4 feet on the ground might feel it a little more. It's not a people of animal killer but lets them know it's there. We have a lot of coyotes here and I see them almost every night on one of my game cameras. Here they roam mostly at night. This coyote knows the electric wire is there.
DSCF000278 05Rev.jpg
DSCF0001627 02.jpg

I'm sorry you are going through all this! AC is helping, wonderful, and suggestions about addressing the HOA situation sound very good.
About paintball guns or other non-lethal dog harassment methods; at least here in Michigan, that's considered animal abuse, and will be prosecuted. Killing a dog who's attacking livestock or persons is legal, deliberately causing injury is not.
Mary

Sooooooooooo... don't shoot the dog. The fallout with the neighbors could literally be deadly (people are nuts).

If I were in your shoes, I would set a trap (but I'm also nuts). I'd lock up all my chickens except one brave soul who would give her life for the better of the flock- and leave a small area open in the fence faced inward- so when the dog pushed in, he'd have a serious issue getting out. Then he will be trapped in your Pen- after killing your chicken, and when you call animal control they will come take care of him.

That's obviously a bit over the top- but I've dealt with worse and come out ahead. Your neighbors laughing at their aggressive dog is enough for me to set the trap though. That dog's next victim may be the 4-year old girl down the street.
Ah the age old debate...my neighbors are inconsiderate about their animals & it's impacting me in my property....what to do, what to do???

I would 100% guaranteed NOT sacrifice one of my ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY not one of my dear girls, for the satisfaction of catching the offending animal, making sure that it was covered---even with 1 drop---of blood for the Animal Control Officer to see.

Dear OP, you are venting and not solving the problem. If you have already done so, good.
I haven't read thru all posts yet. I did read that you weren't rasking for advice. Plowing ahead anyway, if yourn neighborwon't fix the issue, it falls squarely on you. Interaction 1 was an unspoken 'shot across the bow.' Interaction 2 told you it was on. Dig a hole & bring it.

I’m so frustrated for you! Here’s my free (unsolicited) advice:

Note: I LOVE dogs, but bad behavior can NOT be tolerated or allowed to continue.

1. I’d put up the electric fence anyway. It’s on your land protecting your property. They can’t complain if their dog gets hurt if he’s somewhere he’s not supposed to be in the first place

I would put it right around the coop, far enough away not to hurt the chickens if the dog blunders through it. OR I’d place it one full running-dog-stride into your property so he slams right into it.
Is your property fenced in any way? You can sometimes hide the wire along an existing fence.

2. I’d call the cops EVERY time the dog sets foot on your property. Tell them every time that he’s attacking, preparing to attack, or your afraid he’s about to attack your henhouse. Mention that he’s a repeat offender and that the owners do nothing in response.

3. Pay a reasonable lawyer to write a cease and desist order, threatening to remove or kill the dog if it continues. Of course no one wants to kill a dog, but removing it can be pretty simple.

4. Oh! Orrr, you can tell them your friend with a gun is coming to stay with you for a few days and he’s looking forward to sitting out back and using his fully licensed gun to defend your flock. *evil grin*
Have a friend come over, talking loudly about “outlaw chicken killers.” Maybe you can spook them into taking responsibility.
You can have a lot of fun with that!

If I were you, I'd invest in a paintball gun with very bright paint. You're 'shooting' but not killing. Also, let the owners know if the dog is on your property, you will be shooting paintballs at it. It let's the owners know it was on your property and it will sting the dog so it hopefully won't come back

Bad idea - this would likely just get OP into a world of trouble for abusing or terrorizing the dog. Shoot to kill, not shoot to maim. Or if you can't or won't shoot, then the resolution cannot be one where the dog is intentionally tortured/abused.

Ah the age old debate...my neighbors are inconsiderate about their animals & it's impacting me in my property....what to do, what to do???

I would 100% guaranteed NOT sacrifice one of my ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY not one of my dear girls, for the satisfaction of catching the offending animal, making sure that it was covered---even with 1 drop---of blood for the Animal Control Officer to see.

Dear OP, you are venting and not solving the problem. If you have already done so, good.
I haven't read thru all posts yet. I did read that you weren't rasking for advice. Plowing ahead anyway, if yourn neighborwon't fix the issue, it falls squarely on you. Interaction 1 was an unspoken 'shot across the bow.' Interaction 2 told you it was on. Dig a hole & bring it.

I said I wasn't asking for advice because I am already working closely with animal control, who is being very helpful. They spoke with the neighbor, and told them my rights to protect my chickens.

Bad idea - this would likely just get OP into a world of trouble for abusing or terrorizing the dog. Shoot to kill, not shoot to maim. Or if you can't or won't shoot, then the resolution cannot be one where the dog is intentionally tortured/abused.

Agreed. I was raised that you don't pick up a gun unless you intend to use it, and when you do, you better have good aim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom